Question on tpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I see the "dummy" light come on, I just get out, look for the low tire and change it out. Seems to work pretty good to me!

Same here! Personally, I could care less if the truck even had TPMS... it's more of a pain in the ass to me if anything. I don't make a regular habit of it, but I look at my truck often enough to notice if a tire is low. If by some chance, I don't happen to visually notice, I'm familiar enough with the ride feel of my truck to know if a tire is significantly over or under inflated.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure if this is still the case, but when TPMS first came out the "dummy light" did not come on until the pressure was 25% below the manufacturer recommended pressure. It was federally mandated that this is how TPMS should work. The truck will happily let you drive down the road at 35PSI and not make a peep, even though it's 10PSI low. Thank your lawmakers.

Personally, I like to keep my tires within a few psi of where they ought to be most of the time just to extend their life and reduce the risk of a blowout.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the reason I want it, is with the toyo's on there 35 psi is about right, which sets off the TPMS all the time. so I need a way to see if it's an error at 35psi, or if the truck has dropped below that.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you run anything but stock wheels/tires the "dummy light" is basically worthless.

On my G35c I have oversized tires, at 25% low where the light comes on, the tire is almost totally flat.

That's why we want a pressure readout not just a dummy light.

fjcoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a $5 pressure gauge in the glove box. It gives me individual tire pressure. Just saying

Last edited:

Glassman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It gives ford something to add to the 2016 Raptor

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

I'll tell you where the indevidual pressed would come In handy "off road" I had two flats within fives minutes of each other. If I had a screen showing each tire I mighty have been able catch the low presser before it was to late and remove them before I destroyed them, each tire was new but now trashed.

MeenieMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OBDLink MX + OBD Fusion

In the event anybody on the forum is looking for some closure on this topic, and prefers a much more expensive option to the $5 tire pressure gauge, it is possible. I have the OBDLink MX WiFi scanner connected to an iOS device. The OBD Fusion app with the 2014 Ford Enhanced Diagnostics pack (for another $9.99) will read the TPMS. As noted elsewhere, the various tire pressure readings are available in the Body Control Module set of PIDs. It's not as slick as DashCommand, but does the job for those willing to shell out that much for tire pressure readings on a device.