Question on tpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just ordered this:

Amazon.com: OBDLink Multiprotocol OBD-II by ScanTool WIFI Model: Automotive

I'm going to use it with an iPod in my truck and the app DashCommand. It will give me all the cool stuff of OBD II, but mainly I want tire pressures, especially off roading to make sure I don't have a puncture.

I just googled "dashcommand raptor" and a thread on f150online.com came up with someone using this on a 2013 F-150.

LYL® Elm327 WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC : Amazon.com : Automotive

I'm not familliar with this or the device you ordered, but this one appears to be similar with slightly better reviews and it's about 1/5 the price.

They weren't specifically talking about tire pressures, but here's the thread.
Dash Command - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just googled "dashcommand raptor" and a thread on f150online.com came up with someone using this on a 2013 F-150.

LYL® Elm327 WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC : Amazon.com : Automotive

I'm not familliar with this or the device you ordered, but this one appears to be similar with slightly better reviews and it's about 1/5 the price.

since I was going to plug and forget it, I wanted one that wouldn't drain the battery when the truck was off.

I should have it this week, I'll play with it over the weekend and let folks know

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have that ELM327 as well as Dash Command, as well as the $10 upgrade to dashcommand for the Ford Extended Pids.

I have not been able to find tire pressure in dash command even with all of that. I was told by one of the ford techs on here that while the TPMS data is available to the body control module, it is not on the ODBII bus because it's not emissions related. I haven't given up on it yet, but It's not as clear cut as just having the adapter/software.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good to know. To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure the TPMS data is available in Ford vehicles at all. I think the TPMS monitors are basically a digital type on/off switch... pressure falls below a preset, the dummy light comes on.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure the TPMS data is available in Ford vehicles at all. I think the TPMS monitors are basically a digital type on/off switch... pressure falls below a preset, the dummy light comes on.

That was what I thought as well, but again there was a Ford tech on here that told me otherwise. I can't remember the guys name, maybe he'll chime in. So I'm pretty sure there data is there, but it's in a proprietary format, not on ODBII.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's absolutely on the OBDII bus. My Kenwood deck displays the individual tire pressures and a bunch of other data via the idatalink Maestro controller that taps 2 wires in the OBDII harness.

Here's a few pics (not mine, just stock photos but it looks just like this)

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's absolutely on the OBDII bus. My Kenwood deck displays the individual tire pressures and a bunch of other data via the idatalink Maestro controller that taps 2 wires in the OBDII harness.

Just because you got it from the port doesn't mean it's in the standard ODB data stream. It could either be embedded in a propreitary ODB PID that requires tribal knowledge to read (Which Maestro has paid for), it could be a on-request pid only (which cheap adapters don't have the ability to request), or it could be on the wire in another totally proprietary format (which, again, you'd have to pay Ford $$ to get the spec for).

Yes we agree that the data is there in some form, but reading it with a consumer software packages is the tricky part.

Also If I remember right there is a difference between how it appears in '10 and '11 models vs how it appears in '12+. I have a '13, for which Maestro doesn't even make one of their devices.

Last edited:

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because you got it from the port doesn't mean it's in the standard ODB data stream. It could either be embedded in a propreitary ODB PID that requires tribal knowledge to read (Which Maestro has paid for), it could be a on-request pid only (which cheap adapters don't have the ability to request), or it could be on the wire in another totally proprietary format (which, again, you'd have to pay Ford $$ to get the spec for).

Yes we agree that the data is there in some form, but reading it with a consumer software packages is the tricky part.

Also If I remember right there is a difference between how it appears in '10 and '11 models vs how it appears in '12+. I have a '13, for which Maestro doesn't even make one of their devices.

I did a little more searching and came across a good thread here...

Accessing Advanced Ford PIDs with a Scan Tool - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

The Maestro connects to pins 6 and 14 on the OBDII connector which is the CAN bus so it must be pulling the tire data through there from the TPMS module.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's the answer. It looks like Ford has a bit of a proprietary network on MS-CAN. I found a bit more here.

So with that little mod, or by buying an adapter that supports MS-CAN, we should be able to get the data from a hardware perspective. The next challenge is interpreting it in something like Dash Command. I don't know if it will do it out of the box or if it's going to take something custom. Back when I did this sort of thing for a living on Big rigs, there were several manufacturers that did little tricks like encrypting or just applying some tricky bitwise logic to obscure the data, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case here. HOPEFULLY, by paying the extra $10 to dashcommand for the ford extended pids it will handle that for us.

I might take a crack at doing this guys mod and see what I come up with this weekend.

Lol, I just looked at what it would cost to join the equipment and tools group to get access to the proprietary scan tool codes, for only $8000 you too can be a member and have access to the codes. Let's hope dashcommand has paid their dues.

Popped mine open to see if I could just rearrange the wires to give the MS-Can a test, bad news is it looks like there's been a bit of a redesign. No more wires/ribbon, it's all pins now, which makes it more of a PITA to hack on.

Attachments

• elm327.jpg
    elm327.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited: