Question on 400w outlets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evpilot

Reaction score
Are the 400w outlets on the 2017 on separate or the same fuses? I have a laptop that uses dual 300w adapters. I’m wondering if I use one in each outlet if it’s going to pop a fuse.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think 400w is ... well, a classic “your mileage may vary” situation. I’ve tried to use a bunch of stuff that weren’t low draw computers or tablets, well under the 400w limit and none worked. I know it’s got a solid 30a fuse, I tapped it for my subwoofer years back, but you’re not getting a full 400w capability.

I don’t think you’ll pop a fuse, you just likely won’t have enough juice.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The power at the AC outlets is not fused; they are controlled by the DC/AC Inverter Module. The Inverter is powered by a 60A MIDI fuse in the BJB. If an outlet is overloaded or a short is detected, the module will shut down the power output. When the truck is running in Park, the full 400W is available. With the engine off or when in Drive, the max output is 300W. Those ratings are total, not per outlet.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 400w is ... well, a classic “your mileage may vary” situation. I’ve tried to use a bunch of stuff that weren’t low draw computers or tablets, well under the 400w limit and none worked. I know it’s got a solid 30a fuse, I tapped it for my subwoofer years back, but you’re not getting a full 400w capability.

I don’t think you’ll pop a fuse, you just likely won’t have enough juice.

Quite likely it shuts down if the item plugged in takes an initial surge. A 200W item could have an 800W surge. If the system is setup to shut down completely if it detects over 400W, the surge might trip that.

OP
OP
E

Evpilot

Reaction score
What I’m wondering is if the front seat and back seat outlets are used at the same time and say each unit needs 240w for a total of 480w. Will that shut it down or are the outlets independent from each other.

OP
OP
E

Evpilot

Reaction score
Ok looks like I’ll still be lugging around my goal zero power supply to run my laptop and I’ll charge it off the 400w when I’m not using it. Thanks for the input everyone.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta wait for the 21s to come out and see if there will be an easy way to swap in the 2000W inverter setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free