Question. Interest in affordable brake caliper upgrade. Blue Collar BBK.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The piston area of the calipers is both sides. This determines clamping force.

The brake pad swept area is a different factor.

However, more brake pad area squeezed harder is more stopping power. The calipers flex less, only the pistons move and the aluminum bodies dissipate heat better.
Absolutely. I was drooling over the Brembos on the just-announced Mustang...

djevox

Reaction score
Keep in mind that upgrading will only fix brake fade, not make you stop faster if the stock abs is still intact. If you disable abs, then there is the potential to stop quicker up to the point of locking the brake. If you just want it for looks, then keep on keepin’ on…

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that upgrading will only fix brake fade, not make you stop faster if the stock abs is still intact. If you disable abs, then there is the potential to stop quicker up to the point of locking the brake. If you just want it for looks, then keep on keepin’ on…
:hmmm2:
Can you elaborate please? I don't see brake fade changing, as I was under the impression (admittedly it might be incorrect) that like shock fade, fade was a function of heat and dissipation of the heat. Brake force (via more area of the caliper pistons through the pad and against the rotor) should be directly proportionate to braking distance; stopping sooner even if the ABS kicks in.

And if I'm wrong and that is the case...say hello to mah little friend:
IMG_5440.JPG
At least in offroad circumstances, ABS is mostly disabled:
2011OffroadOverview02a.jpg

djevox

Reaction score
:hmmm2:
Can you elaborate please? I don't see brake fade changing, as I was under the impression (admittedly it might be incorrect) that like shock fade, fade was a function of heat and dissipation of the heat. Brake force (via more area of the caliper pistons through the pad and against the rotor) should be directly proportionate to braking distance; stopping sooner even if the ABS kicks in.

And if I'm wrong and that is the case...say hello to mah little friend:
View attachment 375287
At least in offroad circumstances, ABS is mostly disabled:
View attachment 375288
I think it’s easier in this instance to let google do the work for me as I would have to type out a small book to fully cover it. If you do some google searching for “larger brakes decrease stopping distance”, “big brake kit degrade (or affect) abs”, and “brake fade”, you’ll have a bunch of reading so you can decide for yourself whether it’s worth it to you. I’ll note again that brake fade is the big thing you’ll be solving here. Of course, there will always be the anecdotal evidence to dispute anything said.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will do, mostly curious about the ABS system and if it would even notice 6-piston calipers on the front. The BBK stuff is largely irrelevant as this setup will retain the stock (or stock size) rotor...

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If we want to pursue this, I’d be happy to do the machining for aluminum brackets.

It's probably best to just send out a blueprint to a waterjet house.
Just like any good BBK, I have seen it will need shim washers to adjust or more specifically center the caliper on the rotor.

Production tolerances on the spindles weren't loose but they weren't exactly tight for the brake mount ears since the OE brake rotor slides.