Question. Interest in affordable brake caliper upgrade. Blue Collar BBK.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

screaminfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably best to just send out a blueprint to a waterjet house.
Just like any good BBK, I have seen it will need shim washers to adjust or more specifically center the caliper on the rotor.

Production tolerances on the spindles weren't loose but they weren't exactly tight for the brake mount ears since the OE brake rotor slides.

In the Alcon thread, the brackets you buy from them are just machined but there’s definitely a step in them that a water jet wouldn’t be able to do.

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it’s easier in this instance to let google do the work for me as I would have to type out a small book to fully cover it. If you do some google searching for “larger brakes decrease stopping distance”, “big brake kit degrade (or affect) abs”, and “brake fade”, you’ll have a bunch of reading so you can decide for yourself whether it’s worth it to you. I’ll note again that brake fade is the big thing you’ll be solving here. Of course, there will always be the anecdotal evidence to dispute anything said.
You can you tube too

There is a back to back before and after test of a kit

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do, mostly curious about the ABS system and if it would even notice 6-piston calipers on the front. The BBK stuff is largely irrelevant as this setup will retain the stock (or stock size) rotor...

ABS just notices locked up brakes. It does not limit braking power at any other point.

Lockup is caused by a traction condition and traction varies by terrain and road condition.

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the Alcon thread, the brackets you buy from them are just machined but there’s definitely a step in them that a water jet wouldn’t be able to do.

The alcon kit I have seen is radial mounted calipers.

With Axial mounted calipers and a steel bracket it can be done flat with a counterbore

BBK.jpg

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea is affordable brakets to adapt affordable production brembo front 6p and rear 4p.

Since it isn't a large part the weight savings of aluminum isn't that great of a difference, steel is going to be easier to produce and end up with a strong small part.

Stock-thickness rotors will not require the rod end like one of the other kits.

Not sure on pricing of brackets yet but the ball park for rebuilt calipers off rockauto with brackets for the front and pads would be ~$750.
For the rear about the same.

If people want rotor upgrades they can go with a 2 piece front rotor for $1130 or all four rotors for $1985 from an existing manufacturer.

screaminfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alcon kit I have seen is radial mounted calipers.

With Axial mounted calipers and a steel bracket it can be done flat with a counterbore

View attachment 375757

Ah I didn’t realize the difference between radial and axial mounting. As far as material goes, aluminum can be waterjet cut as well. Depending on cost for waterjetting of course, I could still machine them in one of my mills.

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah I didn’t realize the difference between radial and axial mounting. As far as material goes, aluminum can be waterjet cut as well. Depending on cost for waterjetting of course, I could still machine them in one of my mills.

I've seen a lot more than just Aluminum or steel machined 9 ways to Sunday and worked on a lot faster machines with brakes consisting of rotors and stators that look like a stack of pancakes.

Basically. a small piece of steel just right to mount mass-produced rebuilt 6-pot front and rear 4-pot calipers on mass-produced F150s from another make that had Brembos and front and rear rotors about the same size.

screaminfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot more than just Aluminum or steel machined 9 ways to Sunday and worked on a lot faster machines with brakes consisting of rotors and stators that look like a stack of pancakes.

Basically. a small piece of steel just right to mount mass-produced rebuilt 6-pot front and rear 4-pot calipers on mass-produced F150s from another make that had Brembos and front and rear rotors about the same size.

Id like to get a waterjet or wire EDM next I think

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Not sure on pricing of brackets yet but the ball park for rebuilt calipers off rockauto with brackets for the front and pads would be ~$750.
For the rear about the same".
I can't find any Brembo calipers on Rockauto. Only pads & rotors; actually in stock.20221219_133356.jpg