Question For Guys with Tinted Windshields?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't really noticed any issues with my headlights or dimming of dash lights, but maybe it's something you don't notice if you aren't looking for it. But I have a clear ceramic tint, which is supposed to block infrared and UV rays to reduce heat, but not visible light. So I wouldn't expect any issues with the sensor on the dash.
You would notice it if it happens like mine. If I am in fairly bright sun and it darkens, you really can't see anything. It doesn't just look a little dimmer, it looks like you turned off the dash.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You would notice it if it happens like mine. If I am in fairly bright sun and it darkens, you really can't see anything. It doesn't just look a little dimmer, it looks like you turned off the dash.

Maybe get a flash light taped to the dash, pointed at the sensor?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is a bit more sensitive but not like what you are describing. I’ve seen folks cut a small window out by the sensor for this reason. Maybe try that?

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe get a flash light taped to the dash, pointed at the sensor?
I actually thought about hiding a little led next to the sensor.
Mine is a bit more sensitive but not like what you are describing. I’ve seen folks cut a small window out by the sensor for this reason. Maybe try that?
I actually talked to my detail shop about that yesterday and he said that was an option. He did say I would be the only customer who had this issue due to tint. He said he has tons of people with 25% tint, and they don't have issues with the sensor.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually thought about hiding a little led next to the sensor.

I actually talked to my detail shop about that yesterday and he said that was an option. He did say I would be the only customer who had this issue due to tint. He said he has tons of people with 25% tint, and they don't have issues with the sensor.
Yeah but apparently the F150's are super sensitive...

BHook

Reaction score
This is how I solved this issue:

Short version: I increased the brightness of the dash when the headlights are on.

Long version: I like to have my dash lights at the dimmest possible setting when driving at night and headlights are on. With my tinted windshield my headlights would come on prematurely due to the windshield tint. When this happens (due to the dash lighting being set at lowest possible setting) the dash display would be unreadable. Figured out that if I increased the dash brightness when headlights are on, I made the dash readable when the headlights prematurely came on when the sun is low on the horizon.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is how I solved this issue:

Short version: I increased the brightness of the dash when the headlights are on.

Long version: I like to have my dash lights at the dimmest possible setting when driving at night and headlights are on. With my tinted windshield my headlights would come on prematurely due to the windshield tint. When this happens (due to the dash lighting being set at lowest possible setting) the dash display would be unreadable. Figured out that if I increased the dash brightness when headlights are on, I made the dash readable when the headlights prematurely came on when the sun is low on the horizon.
You pretty much described my exact problem. I like my dashlights at about 30% brightness for driving at night. When they dim during the day, that makes them unreadable. The odd thing is that before my center screen and camera recall, with my tint, everything worked fine, just like before. It was only after the warranty work that I noticed immediately that the levels on the sensor were off and the auto setting wasn't working right. Maybe Ford will be able to find something, so I don't have to keep messing around with the brightness levels.