Question For Guys with Tinted Windshields?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sup *******? For the first 6 months or so of having my windshield tinted (only 70%), everything was fine. After the truck went in for the camera issues the auto headlight switch has never worked right since. If the sun isn't pretty direct on the sensor, it thinks it's night and darkens the dash down. It's much worse now in the winter with the less direct sunlight. It's been to the dealer twice, they replaced the sensor, same issue, no change. To the best of my knowledge, no goat (or human) fluids have ever been splashed on either sensor.

Has anybody else had issues with the sensor for the lights? Do yours work normally with no issue, with or without tint? It's definitely better in the summer months. At this point, if I'm heading into the sun, it works fine. Turn with the rear of the truck towards the sun and it throws it into dark mode. The service manager said his Fusion, with no tint, is pretty quirky with the auto lamps also. Thanks for any feedback.

1673307596235.jpeg

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My windshield is tinted (I believe I also went 70%) and I have not had this issue. But I never had any work done on the cameras. What’s the camera issue?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
There was another member (giggity) with the same issue. But his was without a camera issue beforehand. Just the auto lights would come on.

Can you have the tint removed over the sensor area?

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually do have the same thing happening every so often. Not sure what my windshield tint % is since I bought it like that but it’s dark enough to trick the sensor sometimes. I just flip the dial to off when it happens, never really bothered me that much.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without looking at it I thought they tinted around where the camera meets the glass. Or am I thinking of the wife's car where all the sensors are in a rearview mirror bezel that butts up to the glass?

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without looking at it I thought they tinted around where the camera meets the glass. Or am I thinking of the wife's car where all the sensors are in a rearview mirror bezel that butts up to the glass?
I thought the sensor was that little dome thing in the middle front of the dash? I know on mine they went under that whole section of the mirror because I can see the tint outline

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought the sensor was that little dome thing in the middle front of the dash? I know on mine they went under that whole section of the mirror because I can see the tint outline
Yes, it's the little dome right near the windshield sitting on the dash. It's really annoying with the lower winter light. It goes dark for a while every time I drive it. It ****** me off that the auto lamps work fine on my beater Silverado with 160,000 miles on it! The camera issue was that your camera view on the screen would get all crazy with colored squiggles and stuff. It looks like a 60's LSD drawing. They did camera replacements under a warranty TSB.

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's the little dome right near the windshield sitting on the dash. It's really annoying with the lower winter light. It goes dark for a while every time I drive it. It ****** me off that the auto lamps work fine on my beater Silverado with 160,000 miles on it! The camera issue was that your camera view on the screen would get all crazy with colored squiggles and stuff. It looks like a 60's LSD drawing. They did camera replacements under a warranty TSB.
I never looked into it, but I wonder if you can change the sensitivity? On my wife’s BMW you can change it between low, medium, and high sensitivity. Maybe the setting is there and we just never looked for it? Or maybe FORSCAN?

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I never looked into it, but I wonder if you can change the sensitivity? On my wife’s BMW you can change it between low, medium, and high sensitivity. Maybe the setting is there and we just never looked for it? Or maybe FORSCAN?
The dealer says there is definitely no adjustment in the system. I put a phone call into Ford yesterday, see if that leads to a fix.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't really noticed any issues with my headlights or dimming of dash lights, but maybe it's something you don't notice if you aren't looking for it. But I have a clear ceramic tint, which is supposed to block infrared and UV rays to reduce heat, but not visible light. So I wouldn't expect any issues with the sensor on the dash.