Question for former Gen 2 owners now in a Gen 3.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Edski

Reaction score
How often are you in 4hi doing high speed runs? I’m guessing you won’t even notice the difference. If you do put it in 4wd, odds are it won’t pull to the right. I’d see that as good thing.

I’d take the improved rear suspension over torsion. Plenty of Gen 3’s going to Baja to do high speed runs.
Thanks much, that is what i was wondering. Guess I should have asked that in the original question.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 3 runs better and the TCM has a better tune. The ride is light years better. I have a 21 so I have all the options. The one regret or thing I miss is the gear lock out and displaying of what gear ur in. I used it often to lock out the top gears on slow winding roads. I did end up with a Cobb sport TCM tune on my 21 which all but eliminated the need to lock out the upper gears. When it’s confirmed I won’t get my R, I will do it again. I really like mine, would not trade back. I say go for it, especially at MSRP.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
With 55k on your current, I wouldn't bother with it unless you just want the latest greatest, doesn't sound like you care much about that. I sold my '18 at 103k miles. The plan all along was to get a new one before it ticked over 100k, but with ordering being what it is now, I missed it by a bit.

I would be fine driving my Gen 2 still, but I drive a lot and 100k miles is my squeal point.

I do miss it some, it just had a wild quality about it, like anything could happen. lol. The 3 is nicer though.

Raptorny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 3 runs better and the TCM has a better tune. The ride is light years better. I have a 21 so I have all the options. The one regret or thing I miss is the gear lock out and displaying of what gear ur in. I used it often to lock out the top gears on slow winding roads. I did end up with a Cobb sport TCM tune on my 21 which all but eliminated the need to lock out the upper gears. When it’s confirmed I won’t get my R, I will do it again. I really like mine, would not trade back. I say go for it, especially at MSRP.
This

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have MSRP and a low interest rate (or cash) now is the time. These things will MSRP for 95k in two years probably with the same or less options. Now is the time for any new car. Prices on everything are only going up from here. Air down and hit the dirt!

Attachments

• mum_rap.jpg
    mum_rap.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 34

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I went from a 2020 OW to a 2022 Gen 3 CO. No regrets at all. The rear end is sooo much better and planted. No real issues with mine at all. My old truck still lives near by, every now and then I see it and get a little sentimental, then I drive my Gen 3 and I am happy again. We will all definitely tell you how to spend your money, but it's gotta be your call. But MSRP is as good as it gets these days.

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you can see from my profile picture, I had a Gen 2. I miss the color and I still think the front end of the Gen 2 looks better than the Gen 3. The Gen 3 interior blows away the Gen 2. The lone exception to the better interior is that I do not care for the alcantra inserts in the seats, I also preferred the stitched "Raptor" on the seats to the stamped one.

The ride is much improved (not that I had complaints about the Gen 2). Also, the transmission programming in much smoother than what I had in the 2018. Sync 4 is also much nicer than Sync 3.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had both and liked both. I feel the gen 3 is better than the 2020 for ride, interior, sound, and tech. I am a fan of having 37s with a factory setup with no springs or collars needed, and a full size 37 spare beneath the truck to free up the bed space. I was happy with both but feel the gen 3 is just overall the better truck. Gen 2's where I live have taken a big dip in price and are probably going to continue to do so. If it were me and the money wasn't an issue, I'd get the new truck and get as much for the gen 2 as possible by selling it quickly.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Keep your '18 & 100K Plat warranty. Meanwhile, post your "MSRP lot truck" here for someone that's not on the fence.