Question about resale and depreciation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Campbellsoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

As I balance buying a new Raptor with finding a clean used one, I keep coming back to the same question: what kind of depreciation do these trucks have after the first year? It seems that the used 2017s are just about the same price as a new 2018, which doesn't make much sense to me. If I can find a new one for close to invoice plus $500 and I'm about where a lot of dealers have the 2017s with 5k miles...

If you've traded your 2017, what were you offered for it from the dealer?

Thanks in advance!

bjinc

Reaction score
Guys,

As I balance buying a new Raptor with finding a clean used one, I keep coming back to the same question: what kind of depreciation do these trucks have after the first year? It seems that the used 2017s are just about the same price as a new 2018, which doesn't make much sense to me. If I can find a new one for close to invoice plus $500 and I'm about where a lot of dealers have the 2017s with 5k miles...

Thanks in advance!

The pricing for these things is still pretty stupid, especially considering they're not really a "low-production vehicle." A lot of it depends on your geographic area; I'm in northern Virginia, which isn't really truck country, and after like 10 phone calls to dealers within hundreds of miles, and a few face to face visits, I felt like I got a deal paying MSRP for my 2018. I think there are a few guys who managed to pay less than MSRP here (those magnificent bastards), but it's going to be some time before you see anything close to invoice. It just depends on how badly you want the truck...

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks in advance!

If you can find a 2018 at $500 over invoice buy it! Invoice deals are as common as unicorns. They are out there if you are lucky, know the right person, or call every smalltown dealer in the midwest.

Interested buyers still greatly outnumbers built trucks and is why dealers can get obscene ADMs and used trucks are selling for above sticker. It is cooling down in the midwest and MSRP deals are common in many places, but ADMs are still pervasive in others.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks in advance!

Wait it out a year or two and weigh your options of buying a used one or new one.

wheelman76

Reaction score
I'm hoping that upgrading to a raptor from my 2015 platinum will give me less depreciation... I'm willing to give it a trial for a couple years and see if it's the same or less and then decide if I'll keep mine longer or go back to a platinum. I'm also keeping an eye on my total fuel expenditures as well each year.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping that upgrading to a raptor from my 2015 platinum will give me less depreciation... I'm willing to give it a trial for a couple years and see if it's the same or less and then decide if I'll keep mine longer or go back to a platinum. I'm also keeping an eye on my total fuel expenditures as well each year.

Raptor will always depreciate less than Platinum because Raptor is more appealing to younger buyers than Platinum.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
time will tell!

2014 owners are selling their used trucks for the price they paid new three years ago. I don't expect the same with 2017s for a variety of reasons, but it will definitely be better than average.

Of course this assumes paying a sane price for a Raptor. Guys who agreed to $20k ADMs will take it in the shorts.

wheelman76

Reaction score
2014 owners are selling their used trucks for the price they paid new three years ago. I don't expect the same with 2017s for a variety of reasons, but it will definitely be better than average.

Of course this assumes paying a sane price for a Raptor. Guys who fell for $20k ADMs will take it in the shorts.

I have an order in for 1500 under MSRP, so I figure I'm starting at a good point. Just need my order picked up now.