Question about maintenance of ventilated/cooled seats??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any type of filter to clean, or any maintenance needed, to keep the seat vents flowing like they did when new? There is definitely a drop in performance of the cooling since the truck was new. Thanks.
@Oldfart

Have you cleaned/conditioned the perforated leather by spraying leather conditioner directly on the leather?

Alternatively have you used other sprays—fine oil or non-water soluble based particulates?

Water/alcohol based sprays evaporate quickly (seen in some air freshener sprays).

Spray with oils or non-evaporating particulates WILL clog the pores in the “foam/porous subsurface” BELOW the leather cover.

NOTE1: I can’t take credit for this as I’d never have thought about it previously. One of my sharp colleagues pointed this out, and we’ve seen occasional complaints/concerns with cooled/air conditioned perforated seats—which were due to clogging or degradation of the subsurface under the perforated leather seat cover which restricts air flow.

NOTE2: If you are conditioning the leather, lightly spray the conditioner on a microfiber cloth and wipe the surface of the seat with it. Don’t use much spray as you don’t want liquid to seep through the perforated cover.

NOTE3: Doesn’t impact heated seats as you know—since that is radiant heat from warming of the leather surface.

NOTE4: This applies to my OEM as I know our materials. Not sure what “foam/subsurface” is used under the Raptor seat leather cover—so may/may not apply since different synthetic materials react to chemicals in different ways.

Hope this is helpful in solving the issue, or at least keep it from worsening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Oldfart

Have you cleaned/conditioned the perforated leather by spraying leather conditioner directly on the leather?

Alternatively have you used other sprays—fine oil or non-water soluble based particulates?

Water/alcohol based sprays evaporate quickly (seen in some air freshener sprays).

Spray with oils or non-evaporating particulates WILL clog the pores in the “foam/porous subsurface” BELOW the leather cover.

NOTE1: I can’t take credit for this as I’d never have thought about it previously. One of my sharp colleagues pointed this out, and we’ve seen occasional complaints/concerns with cooled/air conditioned perforated seats—which were due to clogging or degradation of the subsurface under the perforated leather seat cover which restricts air flow.

NOTE2: If you are conditioning the leather, lightly spray the conditioner on a microfiber cloth and wipe the surface of the seat with it. Don’t use much spray as you don’t want liquid to seep through the perforated cover.

NOTE3: Doesn’t impact heated seats as you know—since that is radiant heat from warming of the leather surface.

NOTE4: This applies to my OEM as I know our materials. Not sure what “foam/subsurface” is used under the Raptor seat leather cover—so may/may not apply since different synthetic materials react to chemicals in different ways.

Hope this is helpful in solving the issue, or at least keep it from worsening.
No sprays or oils used. I have the alcantara Recaro's and only 14,000 miles, so the only thing I've needed to do so far is vacuum.

Last edited:

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe Adams Polishes can recommend what cleaners or conditioners to use on the ventilated seats?