Question about losing the 2" block with Deaver/Icons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
James, you got that order through us. :)
You got the Forged Off-road OEM replacement ones. We still sell those but Deaver is no longer stocking those for us, we send these out ourselves.

@Oldfart, try putting some weight in the bed and see if it helps eliminate the sideways hop. Coming from a GEN1, that never happened even with an empty bed with stock leafs. Since getting my GEN2, that sideways hop was the first thing I noticed and I definitely didn't like it at all. Ordering Deavers was one of the first things I got for mine. It will make the rear-end perform completely different and well worth it. You do need to replace the stop on the factory 2" block but I chose to get a bump stop kit as I fully understand how much better they are. When you hit the OEM bump, it is jarring and will donkey kick your rear end so make sure you know its going to happen and be prepared for it so you can react accordingly.

If you would like to get a quote on either solution, just message me and will be more than happy to provide you a FRF member discount.
Thanks,
Rick

Thanks for your responses. Nice to know it's not just me. The first few times especially left with the "Why the hell did I just jump the ass sideways for no reason?" Thanks Rick, I'll be reaching out to you.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

Thanks for your responses. Nice to know it's not just me. The first few times especially left with the "Why the hell did I just jump the ass sideways for no reason?" Thanks Rick, I'll be reaching out to you.

The block is not what is causing it because the same design is on the GEN1. The rear on the GEN2 weighs less and with the position of the GEN2 shock design can cause it. With upgraded leafs, it helps stiffen the rear on that sideways movement.

Last edited by a moderator:

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
James, you got that order through us. :)
You got the Forged Off-road OEM replacement ones. We still sell those but Deaver is no longer stocking those for us, we send these out ourselves.

@Oldfart, try putting some weight in the bed and see if it helps eliminate the sideways hop. Coming from a GEN1, that never happened even with an empty bed with stock leafs. Since getting my GEN2, that sideways hop was the first thing I noticed and I definitely didn't like it at all. Ordering Deavers was one of the first things I got for mine. It will make the rear-end perform completely different and well worth it. You do need to replace the stop on the factory 2" block but I chose to get a bump stop kit as I fully understand how much better they are. When you hit the OEM bump, it is jarring and will donkey kick your rear end so make sure you know its going to happen and be prepared for it so you can react accordingly.

If you would like to get a quote on either solution, just message me and will be more than happy to provide you a FRF member discount.
Thanks,
Rick

Good memory!!!! Wish I could have afforded hydraulic bumps, but I dont think Ive sent it hard enough to hit the stock bumps so I guess Im okay.

Deavers definitely changed the truck for the better. I wouldn't have thought a set of leaf springs could make that much of a difference.

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes going to icons or deavers will eliminate this. Your tire pressure is a big factor as well, what psi are you running?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... Is this due to the 2" block that is in the rear? If it is, does going to Deaver's/Icon's get rid of this? Thanks. Here's a sexy picture thrown in for free for your help.
Partially due to the block but mostly due to the over sprung leafs. There are literally only 4 leafs (or is it 5) on the oem spring. They are honestly, the worst part of the entire suspension. Deavers are 3 times as thick, yet more supple as they work correctly, don't use a block and are not over sprung. They don't 100% eliminate the issue, but I'd call it 95%. Leaf springs are gonna be leaf springs and there are inherent issues with their overall design. With that said, it is NIGHT AND DAY better with Deavers - I haven't used the Icons so I can't say but from what I've read they are good too.

I went for the regular +2 non HD as I don't carry heavy loads often and I didn't want to raise my truck any. Paired with a good set of tires (the BFGs are garbage as well) wheel hop is no existent. You will NOT regret installing Deavers or Icons and wish you had done it sooner.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And they always jump to the right because of motor torque. Unless your in Australia then it's to the left, like a toilet flush :D

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And they always jump to the right because of motor torque. Unless your in Australia then it's to the left, like a toilet flush :D

Can't tell if your joking or not, but it is the crown in the road that causes it to skip to the right.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes going to icons or deavers will eliminate this. Your tire pressure is a big factor as well, what psi are you running?

34/32 psi

Partially due to the block but mostly due to the over sprung leafs. There are literally only 4 leafs (or is it 5) on the oem spring. They are honestly, the worst part of the entire suspension. Deavers are 3 times as thick, yet more supple as they work correctly, don't use a block and are not over sprung. They don't 100% eliminate the issue, but I'd call it 95%. Leaf springs are gonna be leaf springs and there are inherent issues with their overall design. With that said, it is NIGHT AND DAY better with Deavers - I haven't used the Icons so I can't say but from what I've read they are good too.

I went for the regular +2 non HD as I don't carry heavy loads often and I didn't want to raise my truck any. Paired with a good set of tires (the BFGs are garbage as well) wheel hop is no existent. You will NOT regret installing Deavers or Icons and wish you had done it sooner.

Thanks, I would be doing the +2 non HD also. I mostly carry shooting stuff, steel targets, etc. in the back, or else it's empty. So definitely don't need more weight capacity. Once in a while a young tied up hottie, but not too often any more. They don't add much weight, if they did I wouldn't bother kidnapping them!

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Go with the Deavers, you will not regret it. If you do not want to spend the money for the hydraulic bumps, get the bump pads from one of the vendors here or SDHQ.

I just rotated my tires and painted my hubs/Deavers +3s to keep the surface rust to a minimum.

FB720747-3ABE-4829-A7F3-EB0D53D00339.jpeg 840B80DD-2DF2-4551-ABCB-6EFFE728022C.jpeg

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Go with the Deavers, you will not regret it. If you do not want to spend the money for the hydraulic bumps, get the bump pads from one of the vendors here or SDHQ.

I just rotated my tires and painted my hubs/Deavers +3s to keep the surface rust to a minimum.

Looks great. Don't the springs come powder coated? It seems like the majority prefer the Deaver's over the Icon's?