Question about front wheels binding/crabbing in 2wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you find the solution to this?.

Mine is doing the same on a Gen1. Exactly same symptoms! Was in 2wd and drove round a corner and it was definitely in 4wd, you could feel it heavy on the front too and it hopped. Slowed down then switched from 2 to4 and back and it cleared. What i have noticed is the 4wd selector switch is putting the rear locker on without asking for it. You just need to touch it with a finger and it flashes on the dashboard. The switch seems to be a common problem to fail so i will swap that out. It is about $40 for the switch. Maybe that will solve it. Although if the transfer case motor is in 4wd it should throw a light on the dash and it doesn't. All my IWE's are brand new and swapped out all the vacuum hose loom and a new sol switch so it must be a transfer case motor
Thanks, I will have to keep an eye on that.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So i am presuming you still have the problem on your vehicle?
I actually had it happen the first time when I went for my covid test at the emergicenter. It's been sitting with a tender on it in my garage since. I'll be driving my beater Silverado until I feel a lot better. Hopefully it was just a one-off thing that won't happen again. It was very strange how it happened though.

PAW RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I tried going back and forth into 4wd and it definitely lessened the issue for a bit but the next day it was back while in 2wd. I had my IWE and hose replaced in March under the transmission warranty at the dealer. I doubt it's either of those issues so likely something with the transfer box. I have an appointment to bring it in on Nov 1. I will update with what they find on it.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I tried going back and forth into 4wd and it definitely lessened the issue for a bit but the next day it was back while in 2wd. I had my IWE and hose replaced in March under the transmission warranty at the dealer. I doubt it's either of those issues so likely something with the transfer box. I have an appointment to bring it in on Nov 1. I will update with what they find on it.
So far, mine has only done it that one time, knock on wood. Appreciate hearing what the dealer finds.