Question about front wheels binding/crabbing in 2wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a weird experience earlier today I've never had before, and also never saw anyone post about. I was in a parking lot at the hospital turning 3/4 of the way to full lock, and I could feel the front wheels binding, as if I had it in 4WD. It was for sure in 2WD, where it's been. I rarely need 4WD, 4A I use occasionally. I made a turn in the opposite direction, same thing. You could definitely feel the front binding/crabbing. I went to an empty corner of the lot and put it in 4HI and drove 20 feet, put it in 4LO and drove 20 feet, put it back in 2WD and the binding was gone.

Any ideas what might cause something like that? I only have 9,000 miles on my truck. Thanks.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I had a weird experience earlier today I've never had before, and also never saw anyone post about. I was in a parking lot at the hospital turning 3/4 of the way to full lock, and I could feel the front wheels binding, as if I had it in 4WD. It was for sure in 2WD, where it's been. I rarely need 4WD, 4A I use occasionally. I made a turn in the opposite direction, same thing. You could definitely feel the front binding/crabbing. I went to an empty corner of the lot and put it in 4HI and drove 20 feet, put it in 4LO and drove 20 feet, put it back in 2WD and the binding was gone.

Any ideas what might cause something like that? I only have 9,000 miles on my truck. Thanks.

Did you check under the hood? Maybe one of your friends got loose and flipped the script, now it's ******** you?

Capture.JPG

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Any ideas what might cause something like that? I only have 9,000 miles on my truck.
I’ll step out on a limb and say the transfer case didn’t fully disengage 4wd last time out. Have you listened for an IWE issue - a kind of rattling sound you hear under throttle in 2wd- windows down, no radio, etc. and give it some decent throttle - about half and listen for the sound - hit up youtube for some examples.

Did you check under the hood? Maybe one of your friends got loose and flipped the script, now it's ******** you?

View attachment 318535

Admit it! You’ve had this queued up waiting for the right @Oldfart post :)

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll step out on a limb and say the transfer case didn’t fully disengage 4wd last time out. Have you listened for an IWE issue - a kind of rattling sound you hear under throttle in 2wd- windows down, no radio, etc. and give it some decent throttle - about half and listen for the sound - hit up youtube for some examples.

Admit it! You’ve had this queued up waiting for the right @Oldfart post :)
:gr_grin:

I always have half an ear out for that, I even have one of the spare hoses in my glove box, haven't heard anything. I hadn't had in it 4wd for several weeks and have driven the truck a bunch in between. I did have it in 4A the previous time I drove it. Typically if it somehow was stuck in 4A I can really feel the heaviness in the steering if it stayed on somehow. Even stuck in 4A should not make the tires bind though. I guess just see if it happens again.

MMDemoMan

Reaction score
Maybe this is dumb, but had you driven the truck for a distance? When my tires get hot, there is enough swell that I feel it "binding" when turning sharply.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this is dumb, but had you driven the truck for a distance? When my tires get hot, there is enough swell that I feel it "binding" when turning sharply.
I had driven about 10 minutes to an appointment. It gave me that popping feeling exactly like 4wd does on pavement. I called my dealer, they have some real good techs, they said they haven't run into this before. My Chevy did something similar a few years back when the transfer case motor was starting to go. That's an '05, obviously this system is way more sophisticated.
Do you have the front lsd option?
Yes I do.

MrT

Reaction score
I have the front lsd and noticed it driving around in my yard. It's real, it tore up the grass pretty good scrubbing during tight turns.

Neasboy

Reaction score

Did you find the solution to this?.

Mine is doing the same on a Gen1. Exactly same symptoms! Was in 2wd and drove round a corner and it was definitely in 4wd, you could feel it heavy on the front too and it hopped. Slowed down then switched from 2 to4 and back and it cleared. What i have noticed is the 4wd selector switch is putting the rear locker on without asking for it. You just need to touch it with a finger and it flashes on the dashboard. The switch seems to be a common problem to fail so i will swap that out. It is about $40 for the switch. Maybe that will solve it. Although if the transfer case motor is in 4wd it should throw a light on the dash and it doesn't. All my IWE's are brand new and swapped out all the vacuum hose loom and a new sol switch so it must be a transfer case motor