Question about Ford rebranded Retrax tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Ford branded retrax on mine (embark ls), which is the same as the pro xr.
key point is I had my dealer install the cover one the truck arrive. It did not come on the truck from the factory.

I had a bunch of issues with mine… missing parts, didn’t fit correctly not to mention a sub par install.
ended up returning it and going a different direction.

I will say fit/finish/quality of the Ford branded version compared to retrax is the exact same.
and even with my issues, which I consider to be an isolated account, this cover is well made and solid.

FF6072E3-AA2C-4609-8769-AA74CD8D59B0.jpeg
D4255E15-2B72-4C81-93D8-365ADEED8EE8.jpeg

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Ford branded retrax on mine (embark ls), which is the same as the pro xr.
key point is I had my dealer install the cover one the truck arrive. It did not come on the truck from the factory.

I had a bunch of issues with mine… missing parts, didn’t fit correctly not to mention a sub par install.
ended up returning it and going a different direction.

I will say fit/finish/quality of the Ford branded version compared to retrax is the exact same.
and even with my issues, which I consider to be an isolated account, this cover is well made and solid.

View attachment 326629
View attachment 326630
I did the same, had the dealer install. Fortunately, they did a great job. Absolutely no complaints.

RickRed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same, had the dealer install. Fortunately, they did a great job. Absolutely no complaints.
Glad to hear they did a good job. It is a really nice cover.

my dealer shouldn’t have even installed the one I had. It was missing 6 of the 8 plastic alignment pegs and multiple rubber caps. That coupled with random clamp placement just lead to a bunch of issues.

And for the additional cost of these over the retraxpro I wanted it to be right.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear they did a good job. It is a really nice cover.

my dealer shouldn’t have even installed the one I had. It was missing 6 of the 8 plastic alignment pegs and multiple rubber caps. That coupled with random clamp placement just lead to a bunch of issues.

And for the additional cost of these over the retraxpro I wanted it to be right.
It should be done right. I agree with you.

Erjdrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the factory installed version. Probably why my truck was in production for 35ish days.

Overall fits great, but the last week I've noticed that the anchor paws were not engaging on the pax side.

Pulled out the installation manual and noticed a half inch width difference between the mounting rails from the cab to the tailgate.

After closing the gap problem solved.

Attachments

• 20211026_135050.jpg
    20211026_135050.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211026_143812.jpg
    20211026_143812.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 40

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t get mine to lock in any place but fully closed. Pretty annoying. Any fix appreciated

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t get mine to lock in any place but fully closed. Pretty annoying. Any fix appreciated
I had the same issue. You need to push down really hard on the latch and it will lock in. Try it in a couple if different positions because if you try to latch it right where the clamp is underneath, that may prevent it from staying.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I’ll give it a try.
I can get it to “pretend” latch but as soon as I drive a few miles (vibrations I’m guessing) it opens up some more.
I can actually push it open with barely any pressure.