Question about aux/mini inputs for the B&O in 2020?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
256kbps is decent. I try to rip at at least that or 320kbps from iTunes. 128 is about the minimum, but some playback software can even make those sound decent. FLAC files will be lossless/uncompressed, so better but also much bigger files.

So it sounds like I'm better off just ripping the CD's I have instead of using the free downloads I got when I bought the cd's. Thanks to all of you for your help. Some of the Google info is pretty hard to decipher unless you already are familiar with some of this.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you knew what file types or quality the music is when you download it from Amazon when you buy the record? I don't see any options for file quality or file type? I saw Google says, it's" MP3 format with a 256 kbit/s variable bit-rate". I'm wondering if that's a good quality compared to ripping a cd? Thanks for helping me learn this stuff.
you can convert to wav format which will be the best quality digital. like i said, i use roxio to convert what little mp3 i have to wav. but a wav format is about 10x the size of mp3. just about every cd when extracted, will be in wav format if extracted in original form

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
256kbps is decent. I try to rip at at least that or 320kbps from iTunes. 128 is about the minimum, but some playback software can even make those sound decent. FLAC files will be lossless/uncompressed, so better but also much bigger files.
flac is still a compressed file. just compressed differently. they claim its lossless, however it depends on the frequency and bitrate

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at one point i had a 256gb usb drive in my truck. but it was too hard to search for files so i broke it up into smaller drives and used a hub. depending on how much music you have, you may not need a hub. i use wav format for all my music because i have such an extensive audio system i need the best sound quality. however if you used mp3, you can store about 10x the music on one drive.

You don't have to use WAV files. The Raptor plays .flac files just fine. flac format is compressed but lossless. No loss of sound quality. Just rip the CDs to flac instead of mp3. I think the software on the Raptor is Linux based. If you are a windows user I'm sure there is flac support somewhere. It's an open source sort of thing.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flac is still a compressed file. just compressed differently. they claim its lossless, however it depends on the frequency and bitrate

You're right, but I was giving advice to someone without getting into the weeds on codecs that were probably beyond what he wanted.