Question #21: New exhaust system???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised so many in here agree with me. All I ever see is exhaust posts from guys complaining about the exhaust sound. I'm driving around thinking that it sounds good when I crank on it and I like that it's quiet when I'm just tooling along. I DO LOVE V8's, my one boat had a 502 with 4" straight exhaust going out through the transom and it made me smile every time I started it with a real loud bark. But like you said, I think many other engines sound good too.
I can agree with you 100% Fron a Yamaha TT500 flat tracker to a Bsa 750 Flat tracker, Harley sporster,lowrider changed system several times, Harley 883R dirt tracker with a Supertrap 2 upexhaust, 21" Skater tunnel hull with a Merc 2.4 OffShore which as you know has the open exhaust above the gear case, 30`Scrab center console with 2 4 strokes that sounded like vacuum cleaners at idle.I wanted to shoot myself after putting a pipe o my jetski, it just sounded like a angry nasty bee and pissed people off including myself. And my list goes on, some of the toys changing the exhaust note wa not possible and I had accepted that, others were changes for performance reasons and on most of my street driven vehicles I have played around with the exhaust but back then you 2-3 choices in exhaust systems.

I think for now I`m going to stay with the stock exhaust, IMO it`s not that bad and like OldFart said its a V6 tt ant a V-8 and because of so many options that are available just in the style of X pipe that would change the sound, I would want to try everyone until I heard what I thought I liked at the time. I think that being able to push a button to open up your exhaust is a fantastic option giving you the best of both. Just like wheels and tires there are so many choices available but are not for everyone and t seems that people give you crap over your choice, but if you think about it the wheels you most likely bought wee not a one off so there are a lot of them out there, maybe like the exhaust stock is just fine

OldFart I like your list of toys and I'm willing to bet there is a lot more to it

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On V8 trucks I would always swap exhaust b/c they’re usually too muffled from factory. I’m also in agreement not only does the stick exhaust note of the Raptor not bother me- in fact I like it, & I appreciate it for what it is & like the contrast from my other car which is stupid V8 ****- cammed, A&A blown, Z06 vette w/ 1-7/8” full length headers & X pipe minus the cats, did “ti-bypass” mod on the stick Ti axleback- if I were to swap THAT out for something like borla stingers my neighbors would be calling the cops on me every time I started up.

so there’s a time & place for that IMHO, & it ain’t my DD workhorse Raptor truck. I’m not 19 (although I pretend I am when I drive the Z06 lol)

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cat back exhaust system changes are not a bother with warranty, as the emissions system is the last warranteed part on the truck.
Borla makes the Ford Performance system.
Heath shields are included on the Borla/Ford Performance system.

tractorman

Reaction score
On V8 trucks I would always swap exhaust b/c they’re usually too muffled from factory. I’m also in agreement not only does the stick exhaust note of the Raptor not bother me- in fact I like it, & I appreciate it for what it is & like the contrast from my other car which is stupid V8 ****- cammed, A&A blown, Z06 vette w/ 1-7/8” full length headers & X pipe minus the cats, did “ti-bypass” mod on the stick Ti axleback- if I were to swap THAT out for something like borla stingers my neighbors would be calling the cops on me every time I started up.

so there’s a time & place for that IMHO, & it ain’t my DD workhorse Raptor truck. I’m not 19 (although I pretend I am when I drive the Z06 lol)

I had a cammed LS7 Z06 and I modded the bi-mode mufflers. Press the button and it was essentially straight through. Press again and it was nearly civilized. Seems like someone needs to make a bi-mode muffler system for the Raptor. As much as I appreciate a healthy sounding exhaust, sometimes on a trip quiet is nice.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a cammed LS7 Z06 and I modded the bi-mode mufflers. Press the button and it was essentially straight through. Press again and it was nearly civilized. Seems like someone needs to make a bi-mode muffler system for the Raptor. As much as I appreciate a healthy sounding exhaust, sometimes on a trip quiet is nice.

my Z06 is the C5 version (well it “was”...it’s a work in progress @ this point lol) - so no bi-mode exhaust available & I had cutouts I wanted to install but wound up selling em b/c the placement on the C5Z either comes to close to leaf springs cooking em, too far back & drone like hell & in any location bound to rattle & transmit noise into cabin when not in use.

they’re awesome on the right car tho

I wonder what cutouts would sound like on the Raptor? Probably like a thousand vacuum cleaners dying all at once ?

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a kit out there from what I have been told. There was a picture of a Raptor from googled Raptor exhaust cut-outs and looked through the image section.There was one that had the pipes out the back and a set of baloney cut two tips that were right in front of the rear wheels. I will try to find it, I should just save the image of unique finds but mind wanders on to all the muddy and shiney trucks

57 and body of 87 and mind of 22, and that brought me the body of 87. I know a lot of you are out there lol

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my Z06 is the C5 version (well it “was”...it’s a work in progress @ this point lol) - so no bi-mode exhaust available & I had cutouts I wanted to install but wound up selling em b/c the placement on the C5Z either comes to close to leaf springs cooking em, too far back & drone like hell & in any location bound to rattle & transmit noise into cabin when not in use.

they’re awesome on the right car tho

I wonder what cutouts would sound like on the Raptor? Probably like a thousand vacuum cleaners dying all at once ?
Maybe like a bunch of angry bee`s ? My neighbors GMC with the 6.2 has pipes out the back that look like you would slide a slice of pizza in to warm it up, and I swear that I hear it when it starts and then it so quiet. It has 420 hp but way too quiet. My wife calls it a Gentleman's truck especially with the surfboards on the side. He is changing them out and it is a nice looking truck the only thing he wishes it had was the cargo ster that the 2500 series has