Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Question #20: Snow tires

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by 911 Crazy, Sep 17, 2020.

1. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

Who are we replying to here...? ;-)

Pretty sure we lived on the same street, I remember this. Funny how it was uphill, both ways going to and from the street and still managed to survive into adulthood without the benefit a 70 thousand dollar 4x4.

They did fine for me too, but in less dramatic winters.

Pat86B likes this.
  2. Pat86B

Pat86B FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Those who provide no insight into the OPs actual question make me question their intentions (trolling versus constructive input)...

DFS likes this.
  3. Bluto

Bluto Member

The tallest snow specific (not A/T) winter tire I could find was NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA LT3 or the General grabber arctic LT. Both in 275/65R20. I know 20 in rims suck, but I do a lot of mountain passes, so wanted the best traction I could get on ice. Both are studabble. I went with the general tires a couple of years ago, they don't look like they've worn at all and provide great traction on snow and ice.

4. DFS

DFS Full Access Member

I wonder how bad at driving you have to be to not be able to handle snow with a Raptor and 35" KO2's...

5. RotorHead695

RotorHead695 Full Access Member

I completely agree with you, especially in wet snow. I'm guessing the guys that are OK with them are in perfect snow conditions.

xrocket21 likes this.
  6. SilverBolt

SilverBolt Hired Gun

[​IMG]

Donovan, isis, Pat86B and 1 other person like this.
  7. jimmyjamm

jimmyjamm Full Access Member

I ran the stock KO2s the first winter with my 2018 and found them to ok in snow and not good in the ice at all.
    For last winter I went with TOYO MTs that I had pinned for studs and siped as well, and they both rocked the snow and held it on the ice.

8. Frank N

Frank N FRF Addict

First you need a Raptor to put them on. :)

Donovan and smurfslayer like this.
  9. Badgertits

Badgertits FRF Addict

35” KO2s in 305mm width = not Great for nasty northeast winter weather = no siping = sliding around on ice like a rink = treads get stuffed with hardpack snow = not great at turning/stopping obviously fine @ getting going.

I’m guessing a replied to this thread already, but once you experience what it’s like driving a 4x4 truck w/ studded snows in the northeast (or CO/UT etc) you’re not going to wanna compromise again.

you literally drive like there’s nothing on the ground, cruise by plows doing 70 in 6” of blizzard heavy ass snow passing hwy plow trucks, slam on the brakes @ the same speed and it’s like MAGIC!!! You actually stop!!!!

I always mic drop this convo by reminding people- the difference between a dedicated studded snow tire & an MT/AT or “all season” ture is greater than an all season vs an AT & greater than a max performance vs a DR or a slick

and YET all the Hardos saying “you don’t need snow tires in a 4x4 w/ KO2s” would be the first to shit on a guy running all season 20”s “offroad” or putting street tires on their drag car @ the strip.

if you have never experience the difference or don’t know- stfu & don’t chime in

RotorHead695 and richnot like this.
  10. DFS

DFS Full Access Member

Well as I've stated, I live with snow 5 months out of the year, sometimes 6, and drive to and from work sites hundreds of miles away daily. So studded tires in the aren't something that I'm familiar with for multiuse vehicles. But I will watch for you on this season of ice road truckers so I get some REAL experience! You really should just recommend a snowcat or snowmobile, KO2's have no place in your snow!