Question #20: Snow tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After owning 2 Raptors for 10 years, living in IL, attending a crap load of Snoball's in the UP, IMO the BFG KO2s are about the best winter/snow tire you can run. I have found that aggressive tread tires like Toyo M/T's or my Cooper SSTs are great in the sand, mud and dirt but suck in the snow as surface area is important in a good snow tire. I run my Coopers from April-Nov and then the BFGs in the winter.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The K2 are Awesome in the winter. No problems at all. Even handles the North Easterners when we get 2 ft dumps some times in New England area

Loud390FE

Reaction score
I live in northish Canada and I’ve used ko2 and duratracs successfully on my trucks during our 6 months of winter. Nothing bad to say about either.

the best tires I’ve used are studded Hakks, no comparison. That being said, on trucks I use the ko2s and duratracs.

This time around I thought I’d try the falken wild peaks but canT give an opinion yet. I just put them on 2 weeks ago and we don’t have snow yet. I read they were better in all categories. Guess I’ll find out.

Plenty of decent options though. Most of these compromise tires are pretty good. Don’t get a ton of mileage cuz of the softer rubber but decent snow performance.

Don’t over think it. Buy what you like.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to know what people have to say about the snow tire reviews here is a great link. I have had both the KO2`S and the KM3`s in the snow on my Jeep (33" 35" 315`s), the KO2`s definitely packed up quicker but they do clean them selves out quick lt too. The KM3`s dug like there was no tomorrow, sometimes to the point that my Jeep would end up high sided if I did not keep the momentum up. That usually ended the winch mounted to the trailer hitch in the back or digging away at snow under the Jeep. The Jeep was a Rubicon with electric lockers in the front and rear. I don`t know what to expect with my Ra[tor in the playing in the snow or on a regular drive. NJ does not get it all to bad with the snow

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments

https://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?tab=Winter

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Duratracs. They run circles around the KO2s in pretty much every terrain I've had them on, especially snow. Are they louder, yes, but that come with significantly improved traction. They can have problems with balancing, but I find that is mostly with people who don't rotate them often enough. The C rated KO2s weigh 63 lbs each and the Duratracs weigh 60 lbs each.

Doesn't hurt that you can get 25% off for being a USAA bank member.

Last edited:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After owning 2 Raptors for 10 years, living in IL, attending a crap load of Snoball's in the UP, IMO the BFG KO2s are about the best winter/snow tire you can run. I have found that aggressive thread tires like Toyo M/T's or my Cooper SSTs are great in the sand, mud and dirt but suck in the snow as surface area is important in a good snow tire. I run my Coopers from April-Nov and then the BFGs in the winter.

Good to know, I was wondering how my OEM tires were going to be, this coming winter.

I'll never forget some years back at a local ski area that had a packed snow/ice covered parking lot, to park I had to pull around a 6 or 8" lifted manly-man driven bro-mobile Dodge with gigantic mudders on it because he was stuck and couldn't move. I was in one of my company mini-vans with snow tires and I easily drove right around him and parked. :happy175: As I'm unloading my gear he's spinning and spinning while not moving an inch. He saw me laughing at him and yelled out the window, "What's so funny?!" I told him, "Maybe you should think about trading that in on a mini-van." Needless to say, he didn't think I was very funny. :angels2:

I never knew before that, how useless big, giant, wide tires are on a truck in snow and ice. I was driving all over in my car with no issues.

Last edited: