Question #17: Bedrug and Bedside rack system issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Bedrug that came on my Gen1 when I got it. People told me nice grab it already has the tonneau AND a Bedrug. After having had it for over a year now here are my thoughts on the pros/cons.

1. Stuff doesn’t slide around. This is nice, but a rubber mat could do that.

2. It’s soft. A rubber mat would be too.

That’s about all I have for pros. The cons?

1. It is constantly getting wet and has a slight mildew-y smell to it. I haven’t noticed any smell to things I store back there being transferred, but it’s still there. I try to flip up the tonneau and dry it out every once in a while, but short of taking the whole thing out and drying it, it’s nearly impossible to keep it completely dry.

The tonneau leaks here and there as it’s not completely waterproof - the tailgate being the main culprit. Condensation drips will always be there as someone stated previously.

That’s pretty much it for the cons. It was there when I got it so I have changed it. If I had to start over I would probably buy just the rubber mat.

I have a buddy who hunts a lot and he swears by it. He says they just throw bloody deer back there, spray it down and roll on.

If you’re like me and just do day to day stuff it’s probably a wash, and you would save some jack by getting just the mat. If you need to sleep back there often it might be a better choice.

Apparently the previous owner of mine went the extra mile and had the Mr. Peanut cane cut out on the tailgate. Nice touch, I use it often because the kids love to play on it. It would definitely suck if it was permanently stuck under the liner.

Good Luck with the choice!
View attachment 155108

water will leak in right here
View attachment 155109

I noticed one omission from your pics that you need which will fix or greatly reduce the “constantly getting wet”. I assume the “wet” issue is likely more towards the tailgate too (if not, you have a tonneau issue). If you have a tonneau, you absolutely need a tailgate sealer. Water, dirt and snow blows through the significant gaps in the tailgate...it is the weak point in sealing your bed assuming your tonneau is up to *****. I think you’d be surprised how much comes around the gaps in the tailgate. If I’m driving in snow, there were literally small piles of snow which blew in before I sealed it up. It’s an extremely cheap fix and anyone with a Tonneau, with or without a bedrug should do this. Just common sense. Kinda pointless to be all concerned about your Tonneau sealing when the tailgate is an absolute sieve. I got this but there are several other products out there:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IPQWXZQ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed one omission from your pics that you need which will fix or greatly reduce the “constantly getting wet”. I assume the “wet” issue is likely more towards the tailgate too (if not, you have a tonneau issue). If you have a tonneau, you absolutely need a tailgate sealer. Water, dirt and snow blows through the significant gaps in the tailgate...it is the weak point in sealing your bed assuming your tonneau is up to *****. I think you’d be surprised how much comes around the gaps in the tailgate. If I’m driving in snow, there were literally small piles of snow which blew in before I sealed it up. It’s an extremely cheap fix and anyone with a Tonneau, with or without a bedrug should do this. Just common sense. Kinda pointless to be all concerned about your Tonneau sealing when the tailgate is an absolute sieve. I got this but there are several other products out there:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IPQWXZQ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Completely agree with you and the above is something I am looking into.

I have had seepage on the sides where the Undercover brand tonneau folds, as well as had some of the screws back out. Undercover made it right and sent me new screws as apparently this is a known issue.

After replacing the screws I haven’t had any seepage on the sides, but as you stated, you can never escape the tailgate issue.

I love my tonneau and bedliner, but if I had it to do over again I might make a different choice.