Question #17: Bedrug and Bedside rack system issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have bedrug that covers the bed and the tailgate only. I do like that it covers the gap between bed and tailgate. One suggestion is that you train the gap cover to fold up so it doesn’t fold down into gap.

Never really understood why you need it on the sides and it’s a fair amount more expensive (and more of a hassle to install and a hassle if you want the built rites). I’m certain someone on this forum will enlighten us all why you need it up the sides.

43D4F05D-7D0E-4EC7-B87B-8AD6D637AAE8.jpeg

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never really understood why you need it on the sides and it’s a fair amount more expensive (and more of a hassle to install and a hassle if you want the built rites). I’m certain someone on this forum will enlighten us all why you need it up the sides.

When you sleep in the back on cold nights, condensation makes the bedsides dripping wet and it's way too easy to touch them by accident. Same thing happens inside a cap if you don't get the fabric liner, except then it drips onto you in the middle of the night. Since my new ride came with the spray-in liner and I seldom sleep in the back, I only got the Bedpad this time to save my knees. It sorta works, but not like I expected. The partial seal at the tailgate hinge is nice, combined with some 1" expanding adhesive-backed foam from Home Depot up the sides and dust entry into the bed is reasonable.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Forget the bed rug. I had one. It’s a PIA. You will have to cut out spaces for the led bed lights and the on-off switch too. You will also have to cut out space for the tie downs on the side. It’s a mess. If you have the bed extenders, that’s another PIA. It’s not a bed to sleep in. It’s a damn truck, eh?

get a very thick, super heavy rubber mat off amazon, I forget the exact one, it’s about 80 bucks, and call it a day. The bed rug gets wet from spray between the end gate, you friggin dope, ;), and the bed when it rains, when you wash it, etc. keep rugs in your house.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget the bed rug. I had one. It’s a PIA. You will have to cut out spaces for the led bed lights and the on-off switch too. You will also have to cut out space for the tie downs on the side. It’s a mess. If you have the bed extenders, that’s another PIA. It’s not a bed to sleep in. It’s a damn truck, eh?

get a very thick, super heavy rubber mat off amazon, I forget the exact one, it’s about 80 bucks, and call it a day. The bed rug gets wet from spray between the end gate, you friggin dope, ;), and the bed when it rains, when you wash it, etc. keep rugs in your house.

This brings up a very important point: the tailgate of the Raptor, like pretty much all trucks seals horribly. If you’re wanting to keep out dust, rain, snow, debris, you pretty much have to seal it with aftermarket product such as the ESI or other sealer. I agree, to put a bed rug in without a tailgate sealer would be pretty stupid (particularly for only 22bucks). I assume everyone with a bedrug has a tonneau. Unless your tonneau is a POS, the limiting factor in the seal of your bed will almost always be the tailgate. Here’s what I have and it works well but there are several other inexpensive products out there:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IPQWXZQ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Ps...if you look closely in the pic above on my previous post (3 posts up), you can see the ESI tailgate sealer.

OP
OP
911 Crazy

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bedrug that covers the bed and the tailgate only. I do like that it covers the gap between bed and tailgate. One suggestion is that you train the gap cover to fold up so it doesn’t fold down into gap.

View attachment 151224

This is the one I want. Which BedRug model is this?