Quantico, VA options for cruising and sights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aaron1085

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I’m down working in Quantico, VA until the beginning of November. I am looking for some sight seeing or activities for the weekend.

I thought I’d maybe hit Assateaque Island and cruise the beach but that’s a solid 3hr ride.

Anything closer or some easy and scenic off road areas anywhere within a medium length drive I should check out?

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 51546BCB-70DC-484A-B606-D88B336A9A26.jpeg
    51546BCB-70DC-484A-B606-D88B336A9A26.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 20

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
GW forest. I think Big Levels(?) is the more commonly visited off road trail.

Cove Campground in Gore, VA near Winchester has some rock trails, nothing high speed.

If you’re going to a beach, I’d suggest Outer Banks. Probably a solid 4 hours from Q, but, lots of beach you can drive on NPS land. need a permit.

OP
OP
aaron1085

aaron1085

Reaction score
GW forest. I think Big Levels(?) is the more commonly visited off road trail.

Cove Campground in Gore, VA near Winchester has some rock trails, nothing high speed.

If you’re going to a beach, I’d suggest Outer Banks. Probably a solid 4 hours from Q, but, lots of beach you can drive on NPS land. need a permit.

Great insights, thank you. I dont need rock trails per say, just some easy and scenic cruising that may or may not even get the tires dirty! How do I find where I can go in GW State Forest?

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I’m down working in Quantico, VA until the beginning of November. I am looking for some sight seeing or activities for the weekend.

I thought I’d maybe hit Assateaque Island and cruise the beach but that’s a solid 3hr ride.

Anything closer or some easy and scenic off road areas anywhere within a medium length drive I should check out?

Thank you!!!

I frequent Assateague! Lets riddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Charlottesville Wine Trail. Start at James Madison's Montpelier in Orange, VA, proceed SW on 20 through Barboursville then down to Monticello in Charlottesville. 20 or so wineries along the way, mountains, history.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Charlottesville Wine Trail. Start at James Madison's Montpelier in Orange, VA, proceed SW on 20 through Barboursville then down to Monticello in Charlottesville. 20 or so wineries along the way, mountains, history.

Wineries... If ever there was a place the Raptor sticks out like a sore thumb, it’s wineries. So, my wife likes to visit wineries but ironically, like Lucille, she’s not ... a good fit, shall we say. Yeah, the clientele tend to not be Raptor people, and as a result, not “our people”.

I was shuttling the wife to one of the VA wineries, I think we were somewhere near Upperville, and I pull in to fill up. some short haired old crow pulls up in the arch-typical subaru, like straight out of a cartoon and demands I pull up because there’s a pump in front of me. I respond, No. That’s a diesel pump, this is a gasoline truck. self entitled ****.

smurfslayer

Reaction score

3 & 4 are ok, but for all the rest you will be accompanied by 10-20 thousand of your closest motoring friends, guaranteed. And that’s on a weekday.

Stay OUT of Fairfax entirely. If you don’t mind traffic, definitely a LOT of colonial history, but you will be sitting in traffic. A LOT. Loudon is the fastest growing county on the East coast, so it’s currently battling Fairfax for how to stuff the most humans on to the smallest amount of land. Think of Northern Virginia as “South New Jersey”.

Snickersville tpk. isn’t bad or busy, or 211 / 33 out near skyline, but stay away from Skyline or BR parkway in “leaf viewing” season. It will be like being stuck in city traffic, stop and go, but no stop lights and surrounded by “caravaners”, and there’s always one who can’t make it to the 2600 foot high point, only able to sustain 18-20mph as their 18 year old RV towing a camp trailer spews out blue smoke to rival a James Bond movie.

Route 9 out to Harpers Ferry isn’t bad most days, or it wasn’t as recent as a few years ago. From there you can get some good scenery in WV and head back.