Putting it in 4x4 mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This time of year my Raptor is constantly in and out of 4 high. Our roads get totally covered in packed snow and ice (no visible pavement) then engage 4H. As soon as you pass onto bare pavement, off with the 4H! That's the nice thing about shift on the fly. Even in summer months, I shift to 4H on gravel roads and I live on a gravel road so 4H is used every time I take the Raptor out. Two reasons on gravel. Much better direction control and second, stops the development of washboard on the roadway. If there is washboard, 4H will greatly smooth out your ride. I tend to drive like an ******* as my wife puts it. I drift most corners whenever I am on gravel or snow. It keeps my skills sharp and really teaches you the "feel" of your rig. It's dammed seldom I am caught by surprise when I slip on ice, snow or gravel. Doing my best to teach this to the wife so she does not end up upside down in the ditch....again. But even after several years of training, she still tries to suck all the air out of the cab (sharp inhale) every time the rig breaks loose. Girl! You must practice to stay current.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This time of year my Raptor is constantly in and out of 4 high. Our roads get totally covered in packed snow and ice (no visible pavement) then engage 4H. As soon as you pass onto bare pavement, off with the 4H! That's the nice thing about shift on the fly. Even in summer months, I shift to 4H on gravel roads and I live on a gravel road so 4H is used every time I take the Raptor out. Two reasons on gravel. Much better direction control and second, stops the development of washboard on the roadway. If there is washboard, 4H will greatly smooth out your ride. I tend to drive like an ******* as my wife puts it. I drift most corners whenever I am on gravel or snow. It keeps my skills sharp and really teaches you the "feel" of your rig. It's dammed seldom I am caught by surprise when I slip on ice, snow or gravel. Doing my best to teach this to the wife so she does not end up upside down in the ditch....again. But even after several years of training, she still tries to suck all the air out of the cab (sharp inhale) every time the rig breaks loose. Girl! You must practice to stay current.
I also like 4H more than 4A in gravel/grass/deep snow it leaves the front hubs constantly engaged (obviously) w/ more immediate Tq, the 4a truly functions like AWD in the raptors, there is no delay of engagement to the front like pretty much EVERY other 1/2 ton w/ “4a” BUT it’s clear that the Tq steer is greater in 4a & the amount of Tq going to the front seems subdued/less than when in 4H, but 100%, if there are patches of dry pavement, intermixed w/ ice & snow, then you need to go w/ 4a

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want a full AWD truck just get a TrX. The drivetrain is exclusively designed for all the time use of awd. With the option to lock the tcase. Some folks will say its perfectly fine to drive with 4a on dry pavement but i personally would never consider doing that on my rig. Jeep figured out “full time “ 4 wd pretty well with quadra drive and quadra track being prevalent back in the late 90’s early 2000’s.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I miss the old days when, if you lost control on snow while in 4H, you just threw your hands up, pushed in the clutch, and waited for the view through the windows to stop moving. I felt more in control in 2H because I know some things I can do to recover. I also noticed sooner that things were getting dicey. But now with all of the traction control nannies, everything is just fine until it isn't. Surprise!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want a full AWD truck just get a TrX. The drivetrain is exclusively designed for all the time use of awd. With the option to lock the tcase. Some folks will say its perfectly fine to drive with 4a on dry pavement but i personally would never consider doing that on my rig. Jeep figured out “full time “ 4 wd pretty well with quadra drive and quadra track being prevalent back in the late 90’s early 2000’s.
The TRX is full time AWD b/c the axles/diff/T-case/driveshaft can’t handle all the power in 2wd….

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You tell me why they wouldn’t offer 2wd then? Or…go on a trackhawk forum & see how they hold up for owners that have pulled the fuse allowing em to run 2wd & do those Smokey burnouts….

Trackhawk aside, It would especially make sense for the TRX to allow 2wd driving to help improve the abysmal gas mileage (im sure 2wd only would yield an extra 2-3mpg, significant for something that averages 9-10mpg mixed) & it would probably be a better option for towing. It would also be more fun in Baja type conditions, those pre-runner trucks are typically 2wd right?

I do crazy figure eight drifting donuts on packed gravel lots in my Raptor, & if I had a TRX that I could throw into 2wd you better believe I’d be doing even crazier drifting antics on that lot w/ the TRX haha