Purchasing 2018 Tomorrow—Carfax shows work done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

immortal1

Reaction score
I’m going to pickup a SCREW tomorrow with 70 miles on it.

Checking Carfax showed the following:

1) Computer module replaced

2) Body electrical system checked
Radiator/condenser fan motor replaced
Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced

Is this normal recall/TSB repairs for a truck this age or a sign of things to come?

Thanks!!!

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had that work done on my 2018 minus the radiator fans when it was barely a month old. I took it in to get a front fender adjusted because it was too close to the door and rubbing when I opened/closed the driver side door. Once they were done, the truck simply refused to start. Dealer troubleshot for a week before determining it was a bad PCM. A month after that a replacement PCM finally arrived from Ford. Have not had any issues since. During the 5 weeks I was without the truck, I did a lot of searching online and found a few people with similar stories, a couple on this forum. Not sure if there was a bad batch of PCM's or not

OP
OP
I

immortal1

Reaction score
Thanks Jabroni! Seems like nothing to be worried about then.

I've had that work done on my 2018 minus the radiator fans when it was barely a month old. I took it in to get a front fender adjusted because it was too close to the door and rubbing when I opened/closed the driver side door. Once they were done, the truck simply refused to start. Dealer troubleshot for a week before determining it was a bad PCM. A month after that a replacement PCM finally arrived from Ford. Have not had any issues since. During the 5 weeks I was without the truck, I did a lot of searching online and found a few people with similar stories, a couple on this forum. Not sure if there was a bad batch of PCM's or not

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would not purchase that truck. Why buy a "new" truck that already has had issues and numerous repairs done to it? Seems like you are asking for trouble.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Jabroni! Seems like nothing to be worried about then.

What I would be concerned with is that it shows up on a Carfax report at all. I've never seen standard warranty work show up on Carfax. In fact, I've read multiple times Carfax doesn't learn of issues without a police report being filed under the VIN.

I do agree with some of the other suggestions. If you do buy this particular vehicle, make sure you're getting it well under MSRP with an extended warranty from Ford.