Purchase BD Amber SAE Lens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mstgkillr

Reaction score
I’m looking to repurpose a set of clear BD Squadron SAE lights to my wife’s 4Runner. I would like to keep her vehicle street legal and swap to the amber SAE lens but I cannot find it. Is it even available?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t think BD sells that SAE lens, for fear people may put their squadron pros behind them.

You could do amber covers for the squadrons though.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to repurpose a set of clear BD Squadron SAE lights to my wife’s 4Runner. I would like to keep her vehicle street legal and swap to the amber SAE lens but I cannot find it. Is it even available?
It’s not the lens, it’s the light output level. The lens is just wide or driving

OP
OP
M

Mstgkillr

Reaction score
It’s not the lens, it’s the light output level. The lens is just wide or driving

I would like the SAE stamp, but I also recall the SAE lenses being blacked out to meet DOT specs… not just a wide cornering lens.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put amber lens on my SAE fogs (don’t tell anyone ) and I pointed them down slightly. Amber SAE is not available afaik.

I suggest spray painting them with a clear amber - I think it’s made by Krylon.

QCRappy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like the SAE stamp, but I also recall the SAE lenses being blacked out to meet DOT specs… not just a wide cornering lens.
No it’s the light output that makes it SAE and how the light is designed which is why it looks blacked out.

01Moch1

Reaction score
Just an FYI, there's a difference to the reflector inside the genuine SAE lights. If I'm remembering correctly, the reflectors inside the SAE lights are clear as opposed to the silver mirrored reflectors and all the other lights.

TexasAggie94

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another FYI; I was told that SAE stamp does not make a light street legal and a "DOT" label is what will make a light street legal. Not sure if this is completely accurate as I have never seen any actual legal literature and also not sure if it varies by state.