Pulling out a stuck Vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whatever the situation calls for. Do NOTput it in rock crawl
Mode pulling someone out a ditch on dry pavement, or pavement that is patchy dry/ice/snow unless you’re certain you can keep your wheels straight & have no reason to turn. I’ve yet to do so in my Raptor, but the majority of times I’ve pulled people out w/ previous GM trucks it’s during snow storms or on windy mountain/country roads in VT/NH skiing. Unless you’re pulling another big ass truck or suv, I use 4wd hi go slow at first until there’s good tension on the recovery strap then go for it & tank em out!

Be careful w/ chains. I don’t recommend using chains for light duty vehicles.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever the situation calls for. Do NOTput it in rock crawl
Mode pulling someone out a ditch on dry pavement, or pavement that is patchy dry/ice/snow unless you’re certain you can keep your wheels straight & have no reason to turn. I’ve yet to do so in my Raptor, but the majority of times I’ve pulled people out w/ previous GM trucks it’s during snow storms or on windy mountain/country roads in VT/NH skiing. Unless you’re pulling another big ass truck or suv, I use 4wd hi go slow at first until there’s good tension on the recovery strap then go for it & tank em out!

Be careful w/ chains. I don’t recommend using chains for light duty vehicles.
Why 4wd hi instead of 4wd low? Seems like the latter would be better on the transmission. I agree with not turning the wheels when doing this, especially on dry ground.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
it honestly depends on the kind of strap you are using.

If it is a kinetic rope, yes, 4wd high. a little bit of slack, then a quick yank. you need more wheel speed more quickly with a kinetic rope. it is a different context on a traditional strap.

If you are using a traditional strap, I'd agree on 4L, but I wouldn't lock the rear dif. put the truck in drive without hitting the gas and let it take the slack out. roll into the throttle and go slow.

Try not to use metal d-rings. The kinetic shackles work just as well and aren't anywhere close to as dangerous if the strap/rope lets go or breaks.

If you are using metal shackles/d-rings, throw a jacket or winch weight over them. make sure that no bystanders are within the radius that the strap would reach.

Stuck trucks are never a good reason to go to the hospital or die.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Would this be preferred instead of using the factory tow hooks?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BB24MFQ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
Not necessarily. The weight rating on your hitch is going to be less than the tow hooks. If it's just a straight pull with little to no resistance it would be fine. If the pull requires a yank to get them out probably not. The hitch is designed for the pulling weight to be directly inline. Anything offset is going to create forces that the hitch is not designed for. The tow hooks attach directly to the frame and are intended for offset loads.