Pulling cash out of the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whaler27

Reaction score
The government is borrowing money to throw at all kinds of freebies and “services”, but landlords are getting hosed, at least in Oregon, because they can’t evict people who don’t pay, but the landlords still have to maintain the properties and pay for them. A friend of ours had a renter who refused to pay for more than a year, and he couldn’t get the guy out. The property was for sale last summer, and he had a buyer, so he offered to forgive the year’s rent and pay the tenant $5000 to get out, but the guys still refused to leave. Fortunately (sort of), the house burned in the McKenzie River fire at the end of last summer. That got the deadbeat out, and the insurance covered the house.

The west coast has become insane with gubmint spending. Here’s a story that will blow your mind: Ten years ago my mom moved in with us. She was in her mid-80s and she needed some help. We hired a part time caregiver to help us. The caregiver was earning over $36,000 per year between us and her other work. Her “partner” was earning another $40,000, which she didn’t report (because they aren’t married). She still qualified for the Oregon Health Plan which paid for her extremely expensive fertility treatments. I’m not kidding. Those treatments were necessary because, at only 5’5”, the caregiver weighed over 400 pounds. Apparently, that level of obesity can mess with body chemistry... Of course, when she finally got pregnant, it was a high risk pregnancy, for obvious reasons, so she got free weekly ultrasound and medical evaluations until her high risk C-section which was followed by extensive aftercare for her and her child. (My sister paid almost $30,000 for fertility treatments more than twenty-five years ago. I suspect the Oregon taxpayers paid between $100,000 and $200,000 to get this woman pregnant, delivered, and set up with well baby visits.)

Inflation and higher taxes are coming, as there are fewer and fewer of us pulling the plow to provide for those collecting the freebies.

Lawman

Reaction score
I‘ve thought about selling the Raptor too, because the idea of driving a truck for “free“ for three years is awesome, but we decided to keep the Raptor for the same reasons others have mentioned. There are some nice trucks out there, but none of the smaller trucks I‘ve found is as fun or comfortable as the Raptor. My wife would rather take a 500 mile trip in the Raptor than a fancy car like a BMW or Mercedes. She says the Raptor is comfortable, fast, and feels safe in heavy rain or snow. in bad weather the visibility is great too. And people don’t automatically hate you for driving it, cuz it’s just a pickup, so no status baggage. Even the stereo is great, at least by our standards. So we’d be selling the Raptor hoping that somebody else builds something better within a year or two (or Ford builds more and can’t sell them). But Ford is controlling production, so I don’t envision any big discounts even if the economy does take a dump. There will always be a few people with money to buy fun vehicles, and in the fun vehicle category raptors stand out as more fun, safer, and more practical than most, because you can haul some stuff (not much), tow a small trailer, or go out to dinner with another couple and have plenty of room in back. That’s pretty hard to beat.

WA2012

Reaction score
Back on topic....I made the mistake of going online and looking up the value of my 2017 Raptor. Within minutes, had multiple dealers offering to purchase it for only a bit less than I paid back in August of 2017. Totally crazy and irrational right now.

WEV

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I‘ve thought about selling the Raptor too, because the idea of driving a truck for “free“ for three years is awesome, but we decided to keep the Raptor for the same reasons others have mentioned. There are some nice trucks out there, but none of the smaller trucks I‘ve found is as fun or comfortable as the Raptor. My wife would rather take a 500 mile trip in the Raptor than a fancy car like a BMW or Mercedes. She says the Raptor is comfortable, fast, and feels safe in heavy rain or snow. in bad weather the visibility is great too. And people don’t automatically hate you for driving it, cuz it’s just a pickup, so no status baggage. Even the stereo is great, at least by our standards. So we’d be selling the Raptor hoping that somebody else builds something better within a year or two (or Ford builds more and can’t sell them). But Ford is controlling production, so I don’t envision any big discounts even if the economy does take a dump. There will always be a few people with money to buy fun vehicles, and in the fun vehicle category raptors stand out as more fun, safer, and more practical than most, because you can haul some stuff (not much), tow a small trailer, or go out to dinner with another couple and have plenty of room in back. That’s pretty hard to beat.
Very well said, Sir!

Dr Racecraft

I’ma need about 3.50
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, Nothing else compares

This truck makes me happy every single day plus I like to do truck things

Last edited:

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. My wife had a Mercedes, and now a BMW X5 (with a sticker price higher then the Raptor) but always prefers to ride in the Raptor.
I too have thought about selling it due to the insane amount of cash I’d get, but I have a feeling I’d be kicking myself in the ass for years to come if I did that.

Thor2j

Reaction score
Same boat as everyone. Bought a 19 when they first came out. Paid 68k for 73k sticker. Was offered yesterday 69.3k for it. Very hard not to sell it. Basically drove it for free 2.5 years but what else am I gonna buy.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When my Gen 1 Raptor was 2 years old I refi and walked away with $15k cash and $30 higher monthly so in 5 years it cost me $1800 more in mo. payments. Now that I think about it I should have taken the $30k they said I could get at the time.