Puff of blue smoke on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renoraptor78

Reaction score
I have a 2010 raptor with 110000 miles. I am the original owner with no mods. I just changed the oil and learned about the double gasket. All my oil dumped out the filter. I redid it Without the double gasket and everything worked fine. The problem is now on cold starts it puffs blue smoke. No other issues besides gas mileage decreasing. Went from 13.5 to 12.8 with no changes in driving. Any ideas what could have happened? It’s possible I put a 1/2 -1 quart over. It was a 5 gallon bottle so it’s an estimate for 7 quarts.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2010 raptor with 110000 miles. I am the original owner with no mods. I just changed the oil and learned about the double gasket. All my oil dumped out the filter. I redid it Without the double gasket and everything worked fine. The problem is now on cold starts it puffs blue smoke. No other issues besides gas mileage decreasing. Went from 13.5 to 12.8 with no changes in driving. Any ideas what could have happened? It’s possible I put a 1/2 -1 quart over. It was a 5 gallon bottle so it’s an estimate for 7 quarts.

If you overfilled it, get the oil level to where it’s supposed to be. Too much oil will lower mileage. Foaming and other issues for sure.

Check the plugs. Change the PCV.

Report back and good luck.

Foraye

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rings or valve stem seals...:-(

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Blue smoke usually means too rich.
When was the last time you cleaned the MAF sensor and some injector cleaner in the gas tank?
How old are the spark plugs?

Last edited: