Puddle Light Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmoses77

Reaction score
I have now had my 2017 Raptor for a week. It has already developed an issue. Yesterday when installing fog lamps, just the physical portion no the wiring, I noticed the the puddle and parking lights were randomly turning on an off. I have disconnected the battery, left it unhooked for 30 minutes and then reattached the leads. After about 10 minutes of sitting parked, locked and off the lights started turning on and off again. I have searched Google and found no solution that has worked. Many mention that it might be a faulty bed switch but I do not see a bed switch on the truck. I have not had a chance to call the dealership yet but was wondering in anyone has experienced this and if there is a known fix. The truck starts and drives fine with no dash lights. It looks to me like it might be shorting somewhere but since the only thing that I have done to to ruck is uncap one of the up fitter switches and then recapped it so there are no exposed wires I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated as I am worried about draining the battery if the lights keep turning on and off, especially when I am at work for 8 hours.

Thanks

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
did you have the accessory power on, door open, or was the truck shut off?

I’d get / use FORSCAN to pull for codes first of all.
did you have your remote in your pocket and maybe were actuating a button?

OP
OP
J

Jmoses77

Reaction score
I was not near the truck and the remote was not on my person. I was in my house and the truck in the driveway when I noticed the lights going on and off, flickering too. As I’m not consistent power. Truck was off and locked and no acc switch was in. It stopped doing it this morning and I thought I was in the clear but started back up this evening. I tried pulling fuse 12 in the cab but I’m not sure that is the correct one. Cheers

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Weird. If it’s constantly doing it I’d pull the battery until it was ready to head to the stealer service dept.

OP
OP
J

Jmoses77

Reaction score
Figured it out. I feel somewhat stupid but I had installed a HUD that plugged in to the OBD2 port the night before all this started happening. I believe that the HUD was the culprit. I did a lot of trouble shooting, changing fuses, resetting the eco and flipping all different combinations of buttons in the cab, all to no avail. Last night I had the epiphany that maybe the HUD and OBD2 plug was messing with things as I know they can. I kept the battery disconnected all night long and also unplugged the HUD. Sue enough when I got the battery hooked back up and drove the truck, locked, unlocked and messed with buttons the problem was gone. I have determined that the OBD2 plug in was the culprit. Thank you for those that replied and attempted a trouble shoot. I look forward to learning all that I can about the truck.

Cheers and happy motoring.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I should have channeled my inner @FordTechOne and asked if the truck was stock (otherwise) and if there were recent mods. I thought I had it with the key fob remote but didn’t step it back far enough.

Glad you got it figured out though.