PSA: Lock up your trucks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got a text from a friend who owns a Ferrari resto/repair shop. One of his customers got his gen 2 Raptor stolen.

They suspect that the fob was cloned and I think it was parked outside.

Raptor is gone so the owner got a TRX now.

If you can, park indoors, have a Cane Corso on hand or 12ga.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard that if you have you key within a certain distance of your truck thrives can catch you key signal and boost it somehow to unlock your truck and break in and even steal it. They are saying you need to get one of those Faraday boxes to block that signal. I bought a cheap one on Amazon and was pretty amazed. Can put the key in the box and sit in my truck with it. With the lid shut I cant start my truck and says no key but if I just crack the lid the truck will start.

OP
OP
JohnyPython

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have heard that if you have you key within a certain distance of your truck thrives can catch you key signal and boost it somehow to unlock your truck and break in and even steal it. They are saying you need to get one of those Faraday boxes to block that signal. I bought a cheap one on Amazon and was pretty amazed. Can put the key in the box and sit in my truck with it. With the lid shut I cant start my truck and says no key but if I just crack the lid the truck will start.
I'm looking into a faraday box. Thanks for the info.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got a text from a friend who owns a Ferrari resto/repair shop. One of his customers got his gen 2 Raptor stolen.

They suspect that the fob was cloned and I think it was parked outside.

Raptor is gone so the owner got a TRX now.

If you can, park indoors, have a Cane Corso on hand or 12ga.
Does a Glock 43 with Hornady critical duties count?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rarely lock or unlock with the fob. Usually lock with the combo or unlock by grabbing the handle. Don't know if that's dangerous or not.
If the fob is in your house, thieves can boost the signal and start your car. You don't have to be pushing any buttons, the fob just sits there. Some people keep their fob in the microwave or in a Faraday cage. If you're at a gas station and go inside without locking your car, a thief can get inside and wait. When you get close enough for the car to read your fob, they can start your car and drive away. I think there's another method where they scan your fob/car as you leave the vehicle. I'm not sure how that one works.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the fob is in your house, thieves can boost the signal and start your car. You don't have to be pushing any buttons, the fob just sits there. Some people keep their fob in the microwave or in a Faraday cage. If you're at a gas station and go inside without locking your car, a thief can get inside and wait. When you get close enough for the car to read your fob, they can start your car and drive away. I think there's another method where they scan your fob/car as you leave the vehicle. I'm not sure how that one works.
Dahm.....for reals? I've heard it was able to be done like that but had no idea it was so easy