GEN 2 Proximity keys seem to not work well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William Henglein

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the proximity keys seem to not work most of the time? I have four sets of keys. I was able to program 2 but had to get the dealer to do the fourth key. When I stand immediately next to the vehicle and pull the handle the door doesn’t open. Rarely it does work but most of the time it doesn’t. Everything else with the keys work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
when you try to open the door, you put your hand in the door handle and a short fraction of a second later the door should unlock - is that happening?

If you just grab the handle and pull, it won’t work.

if the unlock isn’t happening when you put your hand in the door handle, try the passenger side and see if that side is any better. if not, it could be the key. if that side is better, may be a door handle sensor.

MadMaxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ What they said. Touch then pull the handle to open the door. Don't try to do both at the same time, or it won't unlock.

Raptor18Actual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, make sure you're thumb or any part of your hand isn't hovering over the black 'lock' button in the front. Sometimes I do that and it locks on me instead of unlocking.

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the proximity keys seem to not work most of the time? I have four sets of keys. I was able to program 2 but had to get the dealer to do the fourth key. When I stand immediately next to the vehicle and pull the handle the door doesn’t open. Rarely it does work but most of the time it doesn’t. Everything else with the keys work fine.

Does this always seem to happen in the same area, neighborhood, or at the same businesses?

I had a similar problem with the proximity keys in a 2015 and 2017 F-150s. My 2019 has not had any issues. The issue that I had was I would go to certain businesses, BP gas stations in my area for instance, and when I came back to the truck the doors wouldn't unlock and I would have to use the unlock button on the remote. Sometimes I would get inside the vehicle, press the start button and the truck would give me the key not in vehicle error. Turns out the BP stations in my area use an RF signal to communicate with their signs along the roadway.

I did a lot of research because this was crazy annoying and only happening in certain areas and certain businesses.

Google "proximity key interference" and you will get a lot of information.

OP
OP
William Henglein

William Henglein

Reaction score
Hey. Thanks for all the replies. Turns out I guess I was just too impatient. You all were right. Just stand by the car. Put you hand around the door and wait a fraction of a second before pulling. At least it is working for the keyfob I used last night. I never figured out why I could not get my fourth key to program. Somehow the dealer got it programmed. I didn’t know if someone that was ******** things up. But I’m good now. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcadd1ct

Reaction score
It also will not work if your friends are touching the handle on the other side.

it can sense which door has the key.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is the same both sides. Sometimes its almost instant and sometimes it takes a second from I put my hand in handle until it unlocks. Now I put my hand in and wait to hear the locks click before I pull. And of course for the back doors you have to do it twice.

Aloha, HT

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with the proximity keys in a 2015 and 2017 F-150s. My 2019 has not had any issues. The issue that I had was I would go to certain businesses, BP gas stations in my area for instance, and when I came back to the truck the doors wouldn't unlock and I would have to use the unlock button on the remote. Sometimes I would get inside the vehicle, press the start button and the truck would give me the key not in vehicle error. Turns out the BP stations in my area use an RF signal to communicate with their signs along the roadway.

That’s interesting and reminds me - the only time I’ve had this happen was at a winery (don’t judge, my wife does designated driver duty for brewers and distilleries, I am happy to reciprocate for her, despite the hi volume of skinny jean wearing, hipster wannabe prius drivers).

I was dreading the prospect of trying to get to the physical key, and glad the remote button worked. I suppose I could’ve used FordPass too. And, yes, I got a key warning when I hit the ignition.

OP: Glad you got it squared away.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[...]for the back doors you have to do it twice.
I assume you mean for the back doors to unlock you have to touch the inside of the front door handle twice? Mine must be configured differently, because when I touch the front door sensor once, it unlocks all the doors.