Prototype Ford Bronco R Race Truck Fails to Finish 2019 Baja 1000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an ‘83 black XLT with your same basic specs, no HO 351, but did have a 4bbl with aluminum manifold and long tube headers. Ran 35x12.50’s on it.

That truck was an awesome cross country rig. Very comfortable. Lost it I a wreck in Denver one day. I’ve pondered on building another one a few times. Thing about those old series trucks is that now, most of the stuff you’d need to build one isn’t that expensive, although the suspension might cost a little. I’d never go with a lift kit again, I can say that much.

Love love love my Raptor, but I want other trucks too...live to have a deuce and a half as well!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do love the whole concept of a big two door SUV, that's all I need.
I had to sell the Bronco because it was all rusted out, body mounts were gone only two left that was holding the body.

I then purchased a used 1997 Tahoe 2 Dr. police edition 5.7L
I Upgraded to Brembo brakes, Tuner from Hypertech, large HD sway bars front and rear, KYB nitrogen shocks,
V rated Nitto 404 tires that you can't get any more.
They were expensive tires and only rated for 20,000 miles, I purchased new ones every two years. LOL
But I could out corner BMWs
Was going to put a Whipple on it but never had the time.
View media item 2369

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is what Ford needs to do!!!
With a Supercharged V8 5.2L and the 10 speed tranny of course.

This should be an option for the Gen 3 Raptors!!!

2018-Ford-Bronco-Raptor-Rumors-2.png

2020-fordsvt-bronco-2dr-blue.jpg

Last edited:

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought the point of the bronco was competition for the Wrangler? Does a V8 really makes sense for that?

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole small bronco concept is deeply flawed. We need a full sized rig based on the F150. A V8 is the logical choice.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Bronco II never came with a V8

This new Bronco is a form of the Bronco II/Old Ranger, not the full size Bronco which came with the 5.0L, 5.8L and the HO 5.8L

Both never sold well because of size and being under powered and cheaply made!!!

The Basic History
The Ranger 4x4 debuted in 1982 as a two wheel drive model with a 2.3L and a 6.75" rear axle. In 1983, the four wheel drive version, as well as the Supercab, came onto the scene. Followed in 1984, by the Bronco II, both were offered with a Dana 28 front axle and a 7.5" rear. The Bronco II came with the 2.8L carbureted V6. Rangers were powered by either a 2.3L four cylinder or the V6. In '86, the V6 increased in size to a 2.9L, and became fuel injected. Along with a mild front end restyle in '89, a 170 hp 4.0L V6 became optional in the Ranger, and the axles in these trucks were upgraded to a Dana 35 front, and an 8.8" Rear. In 1989, both the Ranger and Bronco II received facelifts in the form of a new front clip and interior design. The Bronco II continued on with the 2.9L until '90, when it was replaced by the Explorer.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL, you click on other links, me too.
A regular cab is just pure punishment.
I don't fit in a F150-F450 series single cab, we have a ton of them at work.
You can't put anything behind the seat, if you do you cannot slide the seat back.

f150-raptor-singlecab-008-1559845833.jpg

Last edited: