Prototype Ford Bronco R Race Truck Fails to Finish 2019 Baja 1000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's too bad, it would have been cool if it finished like the Raptor did. If the article is correct, also bad news for those hoping for a V8 in the Bronco, like me.

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Please don't plant that seed (v8 in Bronco) .. literally thousands of threads about V8 in Gen2 raptor .... LOL!

That's too bad, it would have been cool if it finished like the Raptor did. If the article is correct, also bad news for those hoping for a V8 in the Bronco, like me.

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah I believe they already confirmed the 4cyl ecoboost from the ranger.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it is a twin turbo V6.
But, also remember that there are two broncos. One is based on the escape platform, and the other was based on the f150 platform. I thought this was mentioned in the earlier bronco thread?

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you are correct that there are 2 but it is the escape platform and the 2nd gen Ranger platform. There is NOT one based on the F150 platform.

The bronco they entered in the baja 1000 is on the upcoming 2nd gen Ranger platform

Yep, it is a twin turbo V6.
But, also remember that there are two broncos. One is based on the escape platform, and the other was based on the f150 platform. I thought this was mentioned in the earlier bronco thread?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who would want this tiny Bronco II they weren't that great back in the day and doesn't seem any better now.

Bring back the full size Bronco with a real engine!!!! (V8 that is!!!)
I loved my 84 Bronco.

Last edited:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who would want this tiny Bronco II they weren't that great back in the day and doesn't seem any better now.

Bring back the full size Bronco with a real engine!!!! (V8 that is!!!)
I loved my 84 Bronco.

As I’ve chimed in numerous times to point out Ford does not care much about V8 engines, they’ve never been the greatest @ building em, & every day that passes that becomes more true.

What You really want is your old ‘84 Bronco resto-modded.....& in that case you’d probably wind up w/ a proper Chevy V8 these days, but that’s another story.

If the next Bronco is based on the ford ranger that “tiny Bronco” if it its anywhere close to the dimensions of a regular Ranger 4x4 will most likely weigh about the same as your old Bronco (maybe 250-350 lbs lighter), it’ll probably sit just as high & be just as wide & probably a little longer. Will certainly tow more while packing much more power (probably close to double on both counts)

Tell me more about this big bronco you used to have again?

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you make of the modified raptor running around the Ford proving grounds? It was short bed, regular cab that actually looked even shorter in length for some reason. That would make sense as the chassis for a proper bronco... and go with the styling that all the internet concept creators had.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe my 84 Bronco XLT, HO w351 cid. weighed 4.856 according to registration.
L 177" x W 78" (excluding mirrors, at the doors. Not like the new Ranger were it's 73" fender flare to fender flare) x H 73"
Ground clearance 9.2"
Mine was a little higher because of the old style Mickey Thompson Baja radials.
Unfortunately I have only one picture of it, taken in 1996.
View media item 12532

Last edited: