Protecting your Raptor in the Winter from Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of threads recently having a common theme of how to protect your suspension/undercarriage in the winter. I live in IL 30 miles south of Wisconsin, so I'm know what nasty and salty winters can do to a Raptor. With the winter around the corner, I figured I would share my experience.

These are two products that I have used over the years. There are dozens of products out there, but these are my personal favorites although they both have a downside. They are both very easy to apply, just spray it on.

You can get Fluid Film in hardware stores or Amazon and costs around $11 @ can. Amsoil is a little harder to find and costs a bit more. If you just spray your shocks/leaf springs, 1 can will be plenty. If you are giving your undercarriage and suspension a full spraying, expect to use 2-3 cans.

Positives:

They both work awesome for the purpose of rust/corrosion resistance and protection. One application will last the winter.

Negatives:

Fluid Film; It's made from sheep fat, so if you keep your Raptor in the garage, expect it to smell like a barn for a few weeks.

Amsoil; It leaves a red tint on everything you coat, not a big deal on the frame, but I wish I did not spray my Fox 3.0s with it.

IMG_0338.jpg

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score
I used Fluid Film (with a spray gun) for three years and just made the switch to Woolwax. The FF did great for the most part but is very susceptible to wash off when you do alot of highway driving. My wifes short drive to work doesnt see speeds above 45mph and the FF would last all winter with no issues. My drive to work is much farther and mostly above 70mph, most of the FF would be washed off my exposed front suspension bits and anything around the wheel wells completely by spring on my old Forester XT

Because of the wash off I decided to try WW this season since its a low scent and thicker form of Lanolin (same stuff FF is made of). This winter will be the real test but so far everything I coated several weeks ago with WW is still coated and it would seem none of it has washed away, I can still see the same thick spray marks I made when coating. Have driven several times in the rain including a 3 hour highway monsoon run and the WW looks untouched, the FF would definitely have showed signs of washing off.

Im curious at how well the WW creeps along metal, I know the FF did this real well. No real way to compare them but the WW is way thicker than FF. While it does look like crap and collect road grime I would rather have dirty looking suspension bits than rusty ones so I sprayed my shocks as well.

Did you spray any of your body panels??? I stuck to the frame, suspension, bumper backsides and anything that a magnet would stick to.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After initial application & yearly touch up w/ 1-2 cans of Amsoil HDMP it’s built up a 1/8”+ thick wax like coating on the frame & wherever I went heavy with it. While the application process/initial spraying of the amsoil product is runnier/messier in a sense than the other stuff, after initial application & setting re-coats seem to adhere better & set faster

the biggest benefit of the amsoil stuff - aside from the fact that it seems to be come nearly permanent or “semi-permanent” after initial application- is that while it’s extremely hyDrophobic just like beeswax, it also sheds dirt/mud/salt very easily too, it’s just rinses right off w/ just garden hose or doesn’t stick at all to begin with.

wool wax or fluid film? Not so much. I personally wouldn’t bother w/ either of those.

what I WOULD recommend (& have previously on this forum) as an additional “less extreme” corrosion fighter is Yamaha’s “Yamashield” product designed for use on marine applications. Awesome for bare AL parts - after giving my fox shocks a cleaning & spray w/ automotive clear coat in a rattle can (when truck was new) I been dousing the shocks/spindles/A-arms/entire engine bay & anything else I didn’t want Amsoil HDMP on. I did use the amsoil stuff directly on the turbos/front diff/transfer case though because they get exposed & pummeled w/ road salt directly.

this Yamashield stuff smells good actually & can be used on EVERYTHING & is meant for that- electrical connections, rubber, vinyl, plastic, bare AL, bare FE, painted metal etc- doesn’t matter.

can be used as a metal cleaner too, but sousing bare AL parts & letting the stuff chemically bond is how you initially treat.

The impeller/grate/engine of my yamaha waverunner is like new shows zero signs of corrosion despite having like 40 hrs of salt water immersion under its belt.

here’s a pic of it

lastly regarding the amsoil stuff- I can lay my hand on my frame & feel the waxy consistency/Texture of the stuff, but take it off & there’s nothing on my hand. I can take a pressure washer to the undercarriage within 6” of it & rinse whole thing off- the amsoil coating remains completely intact w/ water beading on it.

try that w/ fluid film or wool wax tell me what the results are

66912B53-2594-4A76-A056-271D85086E6A.jpeg

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^
You dirty *****. You’ve been holding out the good stuff on me this whole time.

That said, while Woolwax does attract dirt, a pressure washer will not take it off.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^
You dirty *****. You’ve been holding out the good stuff on me this whole time.

That said, while Woolwax does attract dirt, a pressure washer will not take it off.
X2
Woolwax holds up way better than Fluid Film.

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To prevent corrosion on my boat over the winter, I use Corrosion Block or the Yamalube pictured above.
I don't use either on my trucks. I just hose down the undercarriage whenever it's warm enough.
I live by the ocean, so the truck is exposed to salt every day.

FGHT ON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few questions, or a lot, from a newbie b/c I also live in the worst state of IL and have been wanting to do this for some time.

• I'm leaning toward Amsoil, beside the red tint, is there anything or anywhere I can't spray?
  • Do you spray on just like you would when you paint something w a can of aerosol paint?
  • Do you need to cover anywhere else on the vehicle or the ground while you're painting?
  • Does it drip and go everywhere, or is there any overspray?
  • How thick, or how many coats do you put on?
  • Does it have to sit and "cure" before you can drive it?
  • Is there a point below a certain temp where it's too cold to spray on outside? Can I spray in the garage?

OP
OP
Big Blue

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few questions, or a lot, from a newbie b/c I also live in the worst state of IL and have been wanting to do this for some time.

• I'm leaning toward Amsoil, beside the red tint, is there anything or anywhere I can't spray?
  • Do you spray on just like you would when you paint something w a can of aerosol paint?
  • Do you need to cover anywhere else on the vehicle or the ground while you're painting?
  • Does it drip and go everywhere, or is there any overspray?
  • How thick, or how many coats do you put on?
  • Does it have to sit and "cure" before you can drive it?
  • Is there a point below a certain temp where it's too cold to spray on outside? Can I spray in the garage?

• I'm leaning toward Amsoil, beside the red tint, is there anything or anywhere I can't spray? Stay away from painted surfaces as it's petroleum based.
  • Do you spray on just like you would when you paint something w a can of aerosol paint? Yes
  • Do you need to cover anywhere else on the vehicle or the ground while you're painting? I didn't since your only doing the undercarriage.
  • Does it drip and go everywhere, or is there any overspray? No not really and it includes a thin straw for tight areas.
  • How thick, or how many coats do you put on? Only one coat is needed but be sure to cover everything which is the one advantage of the red tint, you can see what you missed and what you coated pretty easy.
  • Does it have to sit and "cure" before you can drive it? I let mine sit for at least an hour to dry.
  • Is there a point below a certain temp where it's too cold to spray on outside? Can I spray in the garage? Do it before it gets too cold, like this week and yes you can do it inside. The Amsoil does not smell bad at all.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have quite a bit of work to do here shortly. Thanks BB!