Protecting rear shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some ideas to help protect the rear shocks on my 2019. I recently purchased some Factory Race 3.0 Live Valves that I have installed, and they are taking a beating. The fox supplied upper zap strap is gone and the lower boot zap strap also got destroyed after just one offload session. To give a sense of the type of damage that can happen, I've included a photo of the stock rock guard from the stock shocks that I removed, after 14,000km.

I am aware of the swarfworks lower shock mount protector, but that will obviously only protect the very lowest part of the shock and mounting area.

I have seen rubber flaps in use mid way along the chassis (e.g. see this 4wd trophy truck here jesse-jones-truck-kmc-wheels.jpg, and Icon used to sell an option for this. Any ideas on how to buy or fab something like this would be great. preferably something on a quick release so I can take it off when longer periods of just hwy/city driving.

I've also thought of using helicopter tape on the shock body, and/or perhaps some rubber added to the shock body that hangs down to add protection and is secured via hose clamps - same for the bottom of the shock area. A concern I have is that it gets shredded and then there is a loose metal clamp banging around and causing significant damage

Anyone have any comments on the above, or other ideas?

Thanks!

Ryan

Fox shock guard.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Peterb, I go to Squamish normally... lots of options out that way. Often I go up the Mamquam River FSR - there are some great roads with whoops, good corners, etc, to really make use of the truck at speed. I typically go at night, as its safer. Want to join?

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any time send a pm, about your shocks swarfworks or forged off road make guards but I think you need something more substantial, I would try dales alignment in langley to have something custom made

WC_Raptor

Reaction score
I too have recently installed the race series live valves on my 19 and so far the boot is holding up although the upper clip came loose after my first run.

The upper shock body is a different story. Only about 250 miles in the dirt and getting sandblasted and picked up a couple good sized deep rock gouges. I just ordered a coilover cover to put around the upper part of the shock. It’s about 17” around at the widest part so found a cover for a 6” diameter coil. Hoping this works well. Will report back in a couple weeks once it’s here and have had a chance to put it through it’s paces. Fingers crossed my lower rubber boot holds up. Also have the swarfworks guard and it does a great job on the very bottom.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
You could fabricate a custom shield from thick aluminum, having a roller would help.

Adding a rubber coating would help keep the noise to a acceptable level.

OP
OP
R

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I've done for now. Soft rubber about 3/16" thick wrapping 3/4 of the shock diameter, hanging below static height of the bottom of the shock by 2-3", and held on by two stainless hose clamps. I think I still need mid flaps to protect the leafs, axle, and upper shock body. But this should work for the interim until I can get something made to solidly bolt to the frame.Shock protection.jpg

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I've done for now. Soft rubber about 3/16" thick wrapping 3/4 of the shock diameter, hanging below static height of the bottom of the shock by 2-3", and held on by two stainless hose clamps. I think I still need mid flaps to protect the leafs, axle, and upper shock body. But this should work for the interim until I can get something made to solidly bolt to the frame.

Looks effective.

I found these. I haven't bought them yet, but might do the trick. Would just need to have them installed so they didn't trap and fill with mud and water as that would be worse than nothing at all.