Prospective Raptor Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tetrus

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am hoping you all can help me decide on what to purchase.

My current truck a 2007 Toyota Tundra just crapped out on me at 205k Miles. I blew the motor towing a trailer (9200 lbs) that was likely too large on top of not changing the oil for 18k miles.

Anyway, I am wanting to purchase a truck that doesn't depreciate in value too quickly as I likely will only keep it for 3-4 years. On top of that, I will likely be doing some light towing, 5-6k range. I am leaning towards a 2017 Ford Raptor as it does not look like there have been any major changes since then to the truck. However, I am open to even buy a new one. I am just wanting to get the best deal.

I am trying to minimize depreciation as well as get a reliable, fun, and capable ride. Not going to lie, speed is important for me as well. The appearance is also great.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!
Don’t rule out the Gen1 trucks.

good luck with the search.
What’s your use case?
street queen / mall crawler
Offroad hero?
somewhere in between?

OP
OP
Tetrus

Tetrus

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!
Don’t rule out the Gen1 trucks.

good luck with the search.
What’s your use case?
street queen / mall crawler
Offroad hero?
somewhere in between?

I would say somewhere in between. I will be driving it on-road around 98% of the time. Only during the occasional hunting trip, or motocross meet will it be off-road. I heard the on-road ride in these is pretty smooth compared to the normal F150, is that true? I imagine that also decreases payload capability?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes both Gens ride really nice as they have a wider track area, they hug the road. If you are going to haul heavy loads, most end up changing the rear springs to Deavers, the Gen1s have adjustable front shocks for ride height, the gen 2s have collars available to level the ride height.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a great time to buy a used one. Used car values are sky high and it applies even more to the Raptor. You're going to pay a premium. If you can find a new one I'd do that, however we're entering the ~1yr gap between generations for they're going to get scarce and therefore have a markup. Generally rough time to buy a Gen2. When the Gen3 drops they'll become more available.

Regarding changes, 2017 was the first year of Gen2. It had a few more issues that Ford ironed out. 2019 and 2020 have the more advanced live shocks. People range from saying they don't notice the difference to saying it's night and day. I have no idea because I drive my 2018 with the old shocks on the road and the only 2019 I've driven was at Raptor Assault which was all off road. Can't compare.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As the others have mentioned, with the prices of used vehicles you’re better off buying new in this market. That gets you the full factory warranty, Raptor Assault, and the piece of mind that the vehicle hasn’t been abused, neglected, or in an accident. It doesn’t take much searching on YouTube to see how some people treat these trucks; they stand up to a ton of abuse, but I’m not looking to spend $50k+ on a vehicle that someone with more money than brains beat the hell out of.

Peck299

Reaction score
I would stay away from a Raptor if you are going to continue hauling the 9k+ trailer. Raptor SCREW is only rated for 8k, and the softer rear suspension will cause real concern with hitch weight. I have a GEN 1 and haul about 7800 pound total with my RV. Truck pulls it great, but the bouncing in the rear even with a weight distribution hitch was annoying. I did some research on springs and Deavers always come up, but they are supposedly even softer than the stock springs. My final fix was Firestone air bags, but that is a pain because they have to come off every time I go off road.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that
A) Like other members mentioned, the stock raptor rear suspension (has a leaf removed over the F150) will result in less stable towing at speed due to sag. Although this can be mitigated somewhat by aftermarket leaf springs.
B) Because the super cab raptors are so much shorter, the official tow rating is lower. HOWEVER, people in Europe will tow trailers with damn near everything and rating isn’t exactly everything.
C) I would definitely get on a better maintenance plan before buying a vehicle many times more expensive than a tundra
D) In terms of how “smooth” they are, they’re much stiffer on the road than an F150 or a Ram with air suspension because the shocks need to be valved much stiffer to take bumps off-road