Pros/Cons 5 link coil rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoDucks

Reaction score
Hey, went and had an oil change and just for **** and giggles, test drove the Gen3. Interior is nicer, more tech and wish I could get that bigger infotainment screen. But the real difference to me was that its was smoother due to the rear no longer being leaf springs. I am not a suspension of modification expert but just curios if that retrofit swap on a GEN2 or 1 would be worth it? Not saying I want to do it but I do want to get my rear better for more payload and more stability towing. Just an interesting discussion.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are far better ways for less money to achieve your goals of better payload and stability. Plenty of folks here who overland and have beefed up their suspension with airbags or HD leaf springs to achieve those characteristics.

Moving to a 5 link would no doubt result in a better ride for most situations. Obviously Ford thought it was a better suspension design for the raptor with the new generation. Look at every review of "truck shootouts" or what not when comparing models head to head and Ram is always highlighted as the best riding (at least for the half ton segment) due to the 5 link rear it uses. A 5 link results in better pinion angles through the suspension cycle and resists axle wrap well. Where a 5 link suffers is in the side to side movement of the axle as the suspension cycles up and down. There are always compromises.

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deavers improved my ride quite a bit, but I gotta admit the coil rear is super smooth. A local dealer had a used TRX and I drove it just to see what the hype is about. Rode better than my Gen 2, but average fuel economy was 7.7mpg. Lol.

OP
OP
GoDucks

GoDucks

Reaction score
Deavers improved my ride quite a bit, but I gotta admit the coil rear is super smooth. A local dealer had a used TRX and I drove it just to see what the hype is about. Rode better than my Gen 2, but average fuel economy was 7.7mpg. Lol.
The Ram TRX is pretty bad ass and yes they're super thirsty. I almost got a 2020 Laramie, rode super smooth but I can't get around the terrible Dodge reliability reputation. My co-worker with a nice Grand Cherokee always has some random electrical bug like a chime going off or a sporadic warning sensor alert.
How many miles on your 2?

The more the miles, the more you will appreciate deavers
I am at 45K, drives great but I just don't like the squat when I put in heavy loads or tow around 5K pounds. I looked into doing an add-a-leaf but I don't really want to gain height, factory height is perfect for me.