Progressive springs my experience.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Gsteve Yeah, me too. I think I brought up the issue (as far as I had seen) and some a-hole on here (beadblaster) mocked me, but I think it's a legitimate question. I couldn't speak to it, as I've only had mine on for a few days. Maybe some guys who have had them on for a while could chime in individually about it. But I did PM some guys and I know they have had them for three months and I think one guy even longer and they have had no issues. From everything I've heard from guys who are speaking the truth, I wouldn't worry about it, they've all been very happy with the results. Just to let you know the beadblaster's comments yesterday are ********. He is trying to be funny and mock my question from earlier. Don't let that deter you. Maybe someone has legitimate experience with this. Everything I've heard has been positive tho

Tornitron

Reaction score
I don't care about lift , just ride and handling. Im curious to hear about this settling and dead coil thing.

The ride and handling of the UTV springs beats the stock ones on every perch setting. You won't be disappointed at all if that is your primary goal.
I haven't noticed any degradation in ride quality during the time I've had the springs on my truck. I can't comment on the other poster's experience with the ride firming up, and that frankly seems a bit unlikely.
As far as the "dead" coils, some progressive springs will have them by design. I posted earlier that I had 3 coils touching. I rechecked my truck today after getting it back from having cam bolts installed and a new alignment, and I have two coils touching on each side. This would be the same as UTV's pictures in the other thread. My truck is still sitting a bit high in the rear from my National SD springs which still haven't settled after 1200 miles (they put a pretty aggressive arch in them), so that may be throwing things off a bit depending on how I am parked.

If more people that have these springs wouldn't mind measuring their ride height with these springs, it should give us an idea of how high these are supposed to sit and how much, if at all, they actually settle.

OP
OP
M

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had not settling of the springs at all but only going on two weeks. I will say the lift of two inches may be a bit exaggerated. I saw only about 1.5 inches at the most. The ride is much improved and if you have stock rear springs you will soon want to improve those as the progressive springs really show up how poor the rear springs can keep up with the new front springs.

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lekrap: Not sure on how you think I was mocking you .I was just explaining my experience with the progressive spring on a long off road trip. I probably have one of the first sets of springs and have a lot of off road use on them. These springs on mid perch did allow me to run 37" tires with minimal rubbing and all I did was a little trimming on the front of the fender liner. The distance from the center of wheel to fender flare on my truck is 25 1/2 inches.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I just got back from a 2 month trip where I travelled approx 6000 miles on dirt roads and trails. My truck (Supercrew)has these coils on mid perch with wsi hd springs in the back as well as 37 inch tires. When I first put the springs in I thought the ride was pretty good but after this trip I can say that when you hit potholes there is very little give and the ride is very harsh. This also happens on protruding rocks on the road. I had approx. 500 lbs of gear in the back. The wsi springs are awesome. The truck literally got shook apart. A lot of the aluminum items broke or cracked,all my hella driving lights broke at the mounts,door locks quit working,windows could not be left down as they would rattle and squeak,doors all started squeaking and rattling,the steering rack started making a horrendous rattling noise(truck has cooler and icon resevoir) and the resevoir would get so hot you couldn't touch it.

Also both front shocks blew their guts out and 1 actually started to come apart. The cap unscrewed itself and got hung up in the springs. All in all I am not very impressed with the truck. I could go on with all the other weird things that went on with the motor but at least the thing never quit running. I guess I shouldn't say that as the low oil pressures light would come on and the engine would shut down but restart."

This is a quote from @beadblaster....

So how is your truck that fell apart doing?

Are you trying to say this really happened and you are being serious?

How did you measure your ride height if your shocks just "spilled their guys out"?

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is going to dealer shortly to see how much they will repair under warranty. I have purchased new shocks. Rock slide engineering is replacing their aluminum front bumper under warranty which also cracked.

I just got back from the trip which went from bc following the continental divide( as much as I could do ) thru idaho,montana wyoming and colorado. I also drove most the trails in the Rampart Range area between Colorado Springs and denver and most of the passes in the telluride,ouray area. I spent approx. 70 % of the time on dirt roads and trails.

I do not think the blown shocks should really affect the ride height as they basically are just for dampening.

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I could foresee that the "softer" progessive shocks will make the shock work harder to control the movement , overheat and fail/puke. The alreay thin oil viscocity will further thin out due to higher tempratures of over work and then be even be softer and slam in the compression stages.
My $.02

OP
OP
M

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would suggest if you have not read the original thread on these progressive springs that you should read it prior to making some of these dire predictions. Some folks have now been running these springs for many thousands of miles with no issues. It is a very interesting read and you will learn more background information.

OP
OP
M

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have read and hold to my many (40+) years of past experiance. Not just months of...
Thank you for your concern!

Wow...not questioning your vast experience. Just suggesting that there are many folks who have direct experience, and this is real world experience with these springs. Frankly I don't really have any concerns since these springs have many thousands of miles of real world use both on and off road from various users who state they are still very satisfied without any issues. I guess only time will tell but these progressive springs have already proved themselves over many thousands of miles at this point. Just like any aftermarket part only many years and miles will prove their success or failure. Anyone who installs any aftermarket part takes that gamble regardless of what that part may be.