Progressive springs my experience.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the statement below scares me. Guys buying 3.0s and then switching back to stock because 3.0s was too stiff.

I think if you spend time reading the thread on these progressive springs you will find several folks who have done the "switch" and are happy for it. I guess if I dropped 4K on these great shocks I would also be a strong supporter of Fox3.0 shocks. My point is only what a few folks who have switched back have felt about the change. I think there is no argument that Fox 3.0 shocks are an improvement over the stock shocks but some folks feel the progressive springs are an improvement with just the stock shocks.
The issue of just stiffer or not is not nearly the entire picture here. There seem to be many more benefits than just the issue of stiffness.

Last edited:

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that exact setup right now, but I haven't been able to really test it out yet with the new coil springs, but I can tell you that with the stock front springs set at mid perch the rear out performs the front. I have the RPG stage 3 with rear fox 3.0s and national SD springs. Any time I get any kind of air or hit a set of whoops you can notice how fast the rear end settles down while the front is still bouncing up and down.which I understand is a dampening issue that can only be fixed with some type of shock upgrade, but with the little bit of time that I have had with the new coils installed (on bottom perch) I have noticed slightly less pogoing. Is it a huge differnece... No but for me and my mild off-roading I feel that it was a good 500 dollars spent. I should be able get some more testing time in once my rear springs get redone and I fix a tierod, but that's another story.

So it sounds like a pretty even F/R would be the coils up front and a set of leafs out back.
I've decided I'm going to do rear springs for sure and see how I like how it performs front to back. A bump kit and springs is $2500 but at least can be used when I go with 3.0's while the coils become $500 paper weights. :Pshyco:

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So it sounds like a pretty even F/R would be the coils up front and a set of leafs out back.
I've decided I'm going to do rear springs for sure and see how I like how it performs front to back. A bump kit and springs is $2500 but at least can be used when I go with 3.0's while the coils become $500 paper weights. :Pshyco:

You could always sell the coils...

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SuperRaptor I think I would do what your doing. After I just did the fronts with the progressive coils, I wish I would have done the rears first. Im still 99% sure I would have still done the progressive fronts, but the fronts really show off how bad the back is. I was warned by another guy on here that this would be the case. Can't go wrong doing the back, like you said, you'll do those things regardless of what your next step is. Did you guys see the adjustable DSC 3.0's video that fox posted on here today? Sounds interesting...pricey...but interesting. I'd like if you got these SuperRaptor and let us know how they are. That's my vote!

Last edited:

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people were wondering how much these springs settle. I have had mine on for about a year with fairly hard use and the bottom 3 coils have no space between them and there is a 1/4 inch to the fourth coil so that may be the reason why the ride seems a lot stiffer than when I put them on.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people were wondering how much these springs settle. I have had mine on for about a year with fairly hard use and the bottom 3 coils have no space between them and there is a 1/4 inch to the fourth coil so that may be the reason why the ride seems a lot stiffer than when I put them on.

Don't pay attention to this ******, he's a **** and trying to be cute and make fun of me for asking a question about the springs settling. Ignore the a$$hole

Tornitron

Reaction score

Mine have actually sat like that since I put them on, while it seems some others have taken longer to get to that point. In UTV's pictures, the bottom two coils touch.
It appears that after these springs settle they only lift the suspension about half of what the manufacturer claims and you are left with a few "dead" coils.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that's the idea/technology behind progressive coils. IT's nothing new, been around for years, and very common on coils used for cars. Cils do touch and some coils touch after those.