Programming a Icom CS-F3011

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I acquired an Icom CS-F3011 with default programming thinking it would just be a simple thing to program it. It turns out you need a special cable and special software that is only released to dealers. Pretty ridiculous policy on Icom's part. I personally hate having a piece of electronics that is limited by the manufacturer in some way.

That said, I bought a $15 cable off eBay and acquired the software. I programmed my radio with 16 channels that @GBrown1867, formerly of Raptor Expeditions fame, suggested, including Weatherman, which is most common.

I have the programming software and the pre-configured clone file on Dropbox. If anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send you a link. I didn't want to directly post the link because I'm sure there is a reason Icom is so protective of letting people use their own equipment.

OP
OP
jondle

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy the cable from anyone it's not dealers only

That is true. If you want the technical details, it is a USB to Serial adapter wired to a 3-ring 3.5mm male connector. Pretty simple to make your own, but for $15 off eBay it is hard to make it yourself cheaper.

If it were my company, I would have radios use standard mini or micro USB and make the software downloadable. I suppose if you do that, you are expected to support it, so maybe I see why they don't list it. I'm sure Icom doesn't have the infrastructure for direct end-user support and since it is widely known that end-users are stupid...I guess it makes sense. Just a little annoying for someone that is very technical.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the 3011 an old radio? The 5021 has a usb to telephone connector, real simple and easy plugs into the mic port

OP
OP
jondle

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 3011 an old radio? The 5021 has a usb to telephone connector, real simple and easy plugs into the mic port

I'm not sure how old it is. I know it is listed on their site as the current product line and is actively sold by dealers, but I'm sure you are correct and it is an old model that is due for an update.

Did your 5021 come with the USB cable? That was what irked me about the 3011; it requires a non-standard cable and it doesn't come with one.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the 3011 is a handheld, so no RJ-11/14 connection, and the 5021 is a permanent mounted radio. My Yaesu permanent mount was programmable by the radio face, but not an option on the handheld. You are literally unable to use it without programming it and you can't program it without the cable and software.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure how old it is. I know it is listed on their site as the current product line and is actively sold by dealers, but I'm sure you are correct and it is an old model that is due for an update.

Did your 5021 come with the USB cable? That was what irked me about the 3011; it requires a non-standard cable and it doesn't come with one.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the 3011 is a handheld, so no RJ-11/14 connection, and the 5021 is a permanent mounted radio. My Yaesu permanent mount was programmable by the radio face, but not an option on the handheld. You are literally unable to use it without programming it and you can't program it without the cable and software.

That could be why if its a handheld.

I believe the only handhealds that people use that you can program are the wouxen and the baufeng.

All of the others are useless unless you have the software and cable.

OP
OP
jondle

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the others are useless unless you have the software and cable.

Exactly why I'm trying to help anyone that may be in my situation. If you are looking for a handheld, the 3011 is a good option now with the cheap cable from eBay.