Programmed 2nd key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've doing some reading around here and haven't found the answer. My 17 came with 2 keys. 1 works and 1 seemed to be dead. Doesn't work. Changed the batteries and still nothing. Can you have 2 keys programmed at the same time? In so, what would make the key not work? Needs reprogrammed? Thanks for any help

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
The problem is that you need a minimum of two programmed keys to be able to program a 3rd, 4th, etc. If one of the two that you have is not programmed you will NOT be able to self program.

That would then require a trip to the stealership. If both keys are not OEM Ford keys, be prepared to get bent over. They shafted me $400-$500 for a "programmed key". Once I got that, I was then able to program my additional keys myself. Long story, it's on here somewhere. Pretty sure when you buy used from a dealer, they toss all but one key from the trade-in to force you to buy the $500 key from them. :mad:

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM 5-Button Smart Key Fob Remote Compatible With 2017-2020 Ford Raptor (FCC ID: M3N-A2C13601900, P/N: 164-R8185, JL3V-15K601-AA) https://a.co/d/gcSMjq5

Then pay a local locksmith to program. I had to do this because I lost my original second key, so bought this one of I f Amazon ($70) then got a local locksmith to do the programming to add the second key ($100). Then I bought another key from Amazon to keep a third just in case and just programmed it myself since now I had two keys . All in for two brand new keys $240.

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is that you need a minimum of two programmed keys to be able to program a 3rd, 4th, etc. If one of the two that you have is not programmed you will NOT be able to self program.

That would then require a trip to the stealership. If both keys are not OEM Ford keys, be prepared to get bent over. They shafted me $400-$500 for a "programmed key". Once I got that, I was then able to program my additional keys myself. Long story, it's on here somewhere. Pretty sure when you buy used from a dealer, they toss all but one key from the trade-in to force you to buy the $500 key from them. :mad:
Hum..I believe both are the OEM keys. I saw a couple videos of people putting the key fob in that spot under cup holder and maybe that does it?

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hum..I believe both are the OEM keys. I saw a couple videos of people putting the key fob in that spot under cup holder and maybe that does it?
you can try it, maybe the truck can still recognize it. If It recognizes it and something else is wrong with the key, at least you'll be able to program a third key for just the cost of a new one.

watch