GEN 2 PRNDM console lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2020 SCAB and I was wondering why they didn’t light up. Are these supposed to be lit up ? Is it just disabled ? What kinda cost savings could ford be trying to make when the thing cost 70k +
Makes no sense to me....

When you sell a million of anything a year, even a dollar in savings per unit matter. The illuminated console is redundant; the gear selector position is displayed in the Instrument Cluster along with the current transmission gear. I don't think I've ever once looked down at my '19 shift lever to see the position; it's displayed right in front of me.

The money saved by costing-out a redundant system like this allows the manufacturer to re-invest money in product development. Upgrades like the '19 Live Valve shocks and expanded Instrument Cluster parameter displays all have an associated cost. Product development can't just continue to add more expensive components and technology without justifying the cost by either raising the price of the vehicle, or eliminating cost somewhere else.

PatagoniaDan

Reaction score
Have you guys tried the dimmer setting also to make sure? Mine used to light up and then everything went dark after a system reset and it stopped illuminating. I thought something was wrong but just had to hold down the button to increase the illumination.

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the cheat code for the lights. I believe it's up up down down left right left right a b start. Some here will get it

Jonesy_PNW

Reaction score
I have a 2020 SCAB and I was wondering why they didn’t light up. Are these supposed to be lit up ? Is it just disabled ? What kinda cost savings could ford be trying to make when the thing cost 70k +
Makes no sense to me....

Also 2020 802a tech package here. No illumination and no plug underneath the center console either. No biggie for me I was just curious to see if there was a plug or not!

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brotha, looking at your post from April 7th (nothing from 4/6) and while you say you connected it to the cup holder lights, you never indicated whether the wire was spliced or if it was plug and play (or if you had to repurpose the cup holder pigtails for the console shifter light). Please advise when possible/thanks

Spliced the wire. 2019 and up trucks no longer have a plug. Read my post carefully:

I connected PRNDM lights to cup holder lights, since 2020 no longer has built-in connector.

Pienoe

Reaction score
I don't drive a lot at night and just noticed a couple of days ago that the letters were not lit after having my 2020 for two months. Searched and got here to this thread. Looks like it's working as intended and I'm glad to have access to the information here.

I briefly considered doing the mod described up thread and removed the rubber tray in the middle to explore. Mine does not have the Torx screws and also there does not appear to be a separate piece surrounding just the shifter and cup holders. It looks like the console top is a solid piece going from up under the dash to the storage compartment. So, the mod would be a bear, if even possible on this model even though I wasn't inclined to do it anyhow.

Without an indicator showing what gear you're in, the letters are pointless. I don't know why they even have them there unless it's a part used in other models that do light and have an indicator. After discovering all this I realized that I used the gear indicator info on the display all the time anyway and the traditional shifter indicator wasn't necessary. I say they should just remove the letters completely.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't drive a lot at night and just noticed a couple of days ago that the letters were not lit after having my 2020 for two months. Searched and got here to this thread. Looks like it's working as intended and I'm glad to have access to the information here.

I briefly considered doing the mod described up thread and removed the rubber tray in the middle to explore. Mine does not have the Torx screws and also there does not appear to be a separate piece surrounding just the shifter and cup holders. It looks like the console top is a solid piece going from up under the dash to the storage compartment. So, the mod would be a bear, if even possible on this model even though I wasn't inclined to do it anyhow.

Without an indicator showing what gear you're in, the letters are pointless. I don't know why they even have them there unless it's a part used in other models that do light and have an indicator. After discovering all this I realized that I used the gear indicator info on the display all the time anyway and the traditional shifter indicator wasn't necessary. I say they should just remove the letters completely.
I did the mod because it's a simple $20 mod and the PRNDM lit up on my last 4 F150s so I wanted it to light up on my 2020. After watching a couple of "how to" videos on youtube it took less than 5 minutes to disassemble the console.

GooberPHX420

Reaction score

Sorry to bump an old thread, but same here. I have a 2020 802A.

I bought it a week ago, and the console lights for PNRDM ***absolutely DID**** light up when I first got it. I know this because I had to keep looking at the console to make sure I was in the right mode, since the stupid Fzcking M is right below Drive.

My light has since gone dark. No idea whats up.