Price on a used 2019 w/33k Miles for 55k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcm8013

Reaction score
Hey all, I’ve been looking for a raptor for a while and found this forum.
I’ve been reading lots of threads and trying to get a feel for buying a 2018/19 used vs new. I came across a 2019 white w/topper, 33k miles, 802a and tech package, moonroof, tailgate step, and graphics package for 55k. They’ve had the truck for 80 days now and I know they want to move it. Not sure how much more they will go down. KBB trade in value is 55-59, so seems decent, but I’ve seen some new 2019s for 62-65k. That said, I’m not sure the extra 10k is worth it (and not sure my wife will go for it). Any thoughts on the price? New vs used? Thanks!!

Supergumby5000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck is mostly stock and doesnt look abused, 55k seems like a very fair price for a loaded '19.

What stresses you out more - the idea of spending an extra 5-10k to get the new truck, or always thinking about what the previous owner may have done with the used one? I'de go with whatever the lesser evil is.

FWIW, its not hard to get invoice pricing on Raptors any more. My '18 had a sticker of 69,*** and we bought it for 64k.

Playing devil's advocate, IF i wanted to get rid of my raptor today (which I dont), I think I would be happy with a 55k trade-in.

OP
OP
mcm8013

mcm8013

Reaction score
@Supergumby5000 Thanks for the advice!
I think I might go used and see if they will throw in a Ford extended warranty. Saves me piece of mind (And the 10k difference will make my wife happy). If they won’t, I’ve got my eye on a new 2019, basically same package minus the badging for 63k.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with @Supergumby5000...buying used is a calculated risk. I've purchased plenty of used vehicles based on solely on my own inspection, but the risk factor was relatively low due to my automotive background and the fact that these vehicles were relatively inexpensive ($15K or less). When you're spending tens of thousands on a vehicle, especially $50,000+, the stakes are much higher.

In your example of a vehicle with 33K, the owner may not have changed the oil until 20K. Or maybe it's never even had an oil change because he knew he was going to flip it. Without dealership maintenance repair orders, it would be impossible to know. I witnessed a Lincoln dealer sell a 2015 Navigator Ecoboost as a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) unit with 40K miles. The new owner drove it for a few months, at which point the engine developed a knock. Upon inspection, it still had the original FoMoCo factory oil filter on it...with 40K miles. The engine was full of sludge and destroyed. At that point it became the responsibility of the dealer who "certified" it as a CPO...that dealer had gone out of business. It was an ugly situation for all involved, but unfortunately not a one off.

Another thing to consider in the used vs new argument is manufacturer support. All customers are assigned a "loyalty" score in the manufacturer's system. The score is based on whether you bought your vehicle from the manufacturer or 2nd hand, how many vehicles you've bought new from said manufacturer, and whether you go to the dealer for maintenance/repairs or a 3rd party. So when you call Ford Customer Care at 60,500 miles with a powertrain issue that needs repair outside of warranty, that loyalty score determines how much Ford is willing to assist with the repair. If it's a known issue, they might even cover it completely. A one off, they might pay 50%. But if you bought the vehicle from a used car lot, you're generally on your own.

OP
OP
mcm8013

mcm8013

Reaction score
I agree with @Supergumby5000...buying used is a calculated risk. I've purchased plenty of used vehicles based on solely on my own inspection, but the risk factor was relatively low due to my automotive background and the fact that these vehicles were relatively inexpensive ($15K or less). When you're spending tens of thousands on a vehicle, especially $50,000+, the stakes are much higher.

In your example of a vehicle with 33K, the owner may not have changed the oil until 20K. Or maybe it's never even had an oil change because he knew he was going to flip it. Without dealership maintenance repair orders, it would be impossible to know. I witnessed a Lincoln dealer sell a 2015 Navigator Ecoboost as a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) unit with 40K miles. The new owner drove it for a few months, at which point the engine developed a knock. Upon inspection, it still had the original FoMoCo factory oil filter on it...with 40K miles. The engine was full of sludge and destroyed. At that point it became the responsibility of the dealer who "certified" it as a CPO...that dealer had gone out of business. It was an ugly situation for all involved, but unfortunately not a one off.

Another thing to consider in the used vs new argument is manufacturer support. All customers are assigned a "loyalty" score in the manufacturer's system. The score is based on whether you bought your vehicle from the manufacturer or 2nd hand, how many vehicles you've bought new from said manufacturer, and whether you go to the dealer for maintenance/repairs or a 3rd party. So when you call Ford Customer Care at 60,500 miles with a powertrain issue that needs repair outside of warranty, that loyalty score determines how much Ford is willing to assist with the repair. If it's a known issue, they might even cover it completely. A one off, they might pay 50%. But if you bought the vehicle from a used car lot, you're generally on your own.

All good points and the reason I was on the fence about it. It’s a Ford dealership. The truck was a trade in on a 2020, bought, sold and serviced at the dealership. I’m holding off until they either sell it certified and/or kick in 5 year Ford warranty.
Otherwise, I’ll hold off and let my local raptor dealer continue to drop the prices. Averaging 5-8k off MSRP on 2019s and some 2020s.
Thanks for the advice Fordtechone. I’ve bought used vehicles, but always from the dealer and had them throw in an extended warranty. Had to use it on my Audi several times (definitely do not buy a used one from a random dealer—got mine certified from Audi and still had to have the motorized side view mirror replaced 2 months after buying it to the sum of $2500, but $50 with the warranty). The “loyalty” score is actually something I hadn’t thought about until now, but makes sense. I just hate the idea of the immediate depreciation walking off the lot. Raptors are less than other vehicles, but it’s still a depreciating asset. Figure if I can get them below trade in value with a warranty, I’ll be set with it for 5 years. It’ll technically be a company vehicle that I’ll be using for a tax write off, so I’m okay with just writing off the payment or depreciation. I guess I’ll see how much they really want to get rid of it. With so many 2019s sitting on lots at good prices around here, they’ve been forced to drop the price weekly. I’m not in a hurry, so I can wait them out or just drop another 10k on a brand new one. You’re right when saying the difference in buying a used vehicle at 15-20k vs 50k makes A huge difference, and I would be no end of ticked off if it died after 3k miles and the 3 year warranty was done. Food for thought.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
If you can swing it, just get a new one. I write my miles off also, you can justify a little more expense. Yes, I know you can write off the miles on a used truck, but it does mitigate the expense compared to a personal vehicle. If you end up with a used "problem child", time/$$ amount taking it to and from the dealer may be a thing.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For whatever it’s worth, it’s a great price at $55k. And let’s face it, that’s their asking price... you can probably shave a little more off of that.

Here’s my thought...

You mention it’s been sitting on the lot for 80 days. The previous owner put almost 34k miles in one year... that’s a lot of miles. He or she likely turns cars due to high mileage... maybe they don’t like being out of the bumper to bumper warranty. Who knows.

The truck looks super clean. If you’re interested in a used one, then do your due diligence by having the truck thoroughly inspected. You also mention that the truck was bought and serviced at the selling dealership. If so, then they should be able to provide you with service records. Have them add in an extended warranty. Maybe ask for the truck to be Ford Certified Pre-owned.

At the end of the day, you’ll need to decide if you want new or used. When I was looking, I originally thought about used. But when I thought about how some (ab)used their Raptors, and considering I could buy new for a little more than used, I ended up buying my 19 Raptor new.

Good luck to you!

Lightning_Lad

Reaction score
I understand your hesitation with such a new vehicle being put back on the block.
However, many, many people are handing over their keys and taking “salty baths” on vehicles they could barely afford 18months ago and now they are up the schitter creek with no job or massive losses to their small businesses.

The differential between new 2020 and used 2019 isn’t enough IMO to roll the dice on a used one.

Buy new, get exactly what you want and get peace of mind. Dealers arseholes are at “maximum clench” right now.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand your hesitation with such a new vehicle being put back on the block.
However, many, many people are handing over their keys and taking “salty baths” on vehicles they could barely afford 18months ago and now they are up the Schitter Creek with no job or massive losses to their small businesses.

The differential between new 2020 and used 2019 isn’t enough IMO to roll the dice on a used one.

Buy new, get exactly what you want and get peace of mind. Dealers arseholes are at “maximum clench” right now.

How's the fishing there?