Premium Unleaded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been around the garage for 40 years you do learn somethings in that time.

You go right on ahead and do what you think is best for you.

I sure would like to see those tests.

The Straight Dope: What's the difference between premium and regular gas?

Five Facts of Using Premium vs. Regular Gas - TrueCar Blog

What Is Premium Gas? - Business Insider

Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gas

If reading isn't your thing:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...s+regular+test+gasoline#id=&vid=&action=close

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LMAO !!!!
Edited: Yes if it's on the line it must be "Word".

I'll look at them, always willing to look but I'm sure there are other studies and test to debunk.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Also regular is not 87
89 is regular.
87 is economy!
91 and 93 is premium

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what the state is allowing stations to label fuel levels.

Here in NY we have four different labels,
Economy
Regular
Plus
Premium

Some stations which are few don't have 93 so 91 is their premium.

Last edited:

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
91 is premium in canada land. A few stations have 94.

Premium will run better. Modern engines have knock sensors that decrease timing slightly when lower octane fuel is used because most modern engines have pretty high compression. when higher octanes are used, timing is increased slightly. ergo, slight increase in performance.

with the standard F150 ecoboost having a 10.0:1 compression ration, one can assume that will be increased for the raptor version of the engine given it's higher HP/Tq rating. So it will be more noticeable. Butt dyno may not notice it, but it's science. it will make a difference even if its slight.

the whole "premium does nothing" argument is kinda silly with modern vehicles. because it will do something. whether you can notice it or not is a different story.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe I heard in the video that they lowered the compression in 2017 Raptor so they could increase the boost without knocking.

Yeah, I do feel for you guys that cannot get 93 or higher.
If I have time I'd like to know what is governing that.
I mean other than somebody is making money. LOL

Debunkers,

Scientific: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-premium-g/

From your government: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml

Why do some manufacturers require or recommend the use of higher octane gasoline?

Higher octane fuels are often required or recommended for engines that use a higher compression ratio and/or use supercharging or turbocharging to force more air into the engine.
Increasing pressure in the cylinder allows an engine to extract more mechanical energy from a given air/fuel mixture but requires higher octane fuel to keep the mixture from pre-detonating.
In these engines, high octane fuel will improve performance and fuel economy.

Will using a higher octane fuel than required improve fuel economy or performance?

It depends. For most vehicles, higher octane fuel may improve performance and gas mileage and reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by a few percent during severe duty operation,
such as towing a trailer or carrying heavy loads, especially in hot weather. However, under normal driving conditions, you may get little to no benefit.

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup! The 5.4 was designed specifically to be able to use E85 and according to @Wilson the 6.2 has no problem either. Don't know where dude heard you couldn't use corn juice in a Gen1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E-30 is not e-85
I use e-30 it's about 95 96 octain.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
E-30 is not e-85

I use e-30 it's about 95 96 octain.

My bad man. I forgot you run the 30. Edited my post to be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: