Premium Unleaded?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgsraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a couple turbo cars in the past and have always run premium gas. (Evo/STI).

Just got my confirmed build date for my 2017 Raptor, and got to thinking I will be running premium gas on the 3.5 Ecoboost. I have looked around to see what people run in the 3.5 ecoboost motors and see conflicting info on using premium and regular unleaded. In the end I will end up running premium, but I am just curious.

Thoughts?

A2Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the turbo 3.5 ecoboost gets more power out of premium 93 rather than 87 octane. I used to run 93 in my Stock Taurus SHO and it was fine.

However I'm just a layman and not an engineer or scientist so it could all just be scam by the gas station to make more money.

But yeah I also had an STi and using 87 vs 93 or even 91 for that matter made a big difference.

I'm gonna go with whatever is the minimum recommend by Ford for awhile. After I get my Livernois tune I'm pretty sure I will need 93.

I always wondered this as well...

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the turbo 3.5 ecoboost gets more power out of premium 93 rather than 87 octane. I used to run 93 in my Stock Taurus SHO and it was fine.

However I'm just a layman and not an engineer or scientist so it could all just be scam by the gas station to make more money.

But yeah I also had an STi and using 87 vs 93 or even 91 for that matter made a big difference.

I'm gonna go with whatever is the minimum recommend by Ford for awhile. After I get my Livernois tune I'm pretty sure I will need 93.

I always wondered this as well...

My current Gen1 EB is a tad zippier running 93, which I only do once in a while. It isn't a huge difference, but it is definitely noticeable.

I normally run 87 and it works great. I plan to do the same with the Raptor.

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From page 178 of the 2017 F150 owners manual.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2017-F-150-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_08_2016.pdf

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.

Unless the engine is tuned for premium, you won't see any benefit and it will simply be a waste of money. I don't think the Raptor calls for it. If so, I wouldn't waste your money.
Ford has a couple engines where the power numbers listed are achieved using premium but the minimum is 87, the 5.0L being one of them in the Mustang.

In the case of the first gen Raptor, the Raptor Owners Supplement even stated the 6.2L made 401hp on 87 and 411hp when using premium.

mazur

Reaction score
From page 178 of the 2017 F150 owners manual.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2017-F-150-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_08_2016.pdf

Ford has a couple engines where the power numbers listed are achieved using premium but the minimum is 87, the 5.0L being one of them in the Mustang.

In the case of the first gen Raptor, the Raptor Owners Supplement even stated the 6.2L made 401hp on 87 and 411hp when using premium.

I see that you were able to get the 2017 Ford F150 Owners Manual. Can you get the "Raptor Supplement"?

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford reported regular fuel requirement to EPA for the Raptor.

I would imagine that the new engine will be able to give you a few more horsepowers and torques with premium but it'll run regular all day.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My daughter's 2L Ecoboost Escape recommended requirements are 91 or better.
So you can believe it will be the same for the Gen2.
Force Air Induction needs good fuel or it won't completely combust under boost.

Don't forget the Raptor's PCM adjusts the timing within it's allowed calibration.
But even for the 6.2L, it does say in the manual that you can use 87, it also says if you hear pinging stop and see dealer. LOL
There are some tunes at say economy (87) but at a huge power loss.
Plus I haven't seen anyone get better fuel mileage "under normal use"!!!!
Just saved a few pennies at the pump, until they find out it cost more in the end to clean the engine out.

Last edited:

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My daughter's 2L Ecoboost Escape requirements are 91 or better.
So you can believe it will be the same for the Gen2.
Force Air Induction needs good fuel or it won't completely combust under boost.
Are you sure its actually required on her Escape? This is another one of the engines where the power numbers Ford list under specs was achieved with 93 octane. The owners manual for the Escapes with the 1.5L Eco and 2.0L still states that 87 is the minimum and premium should be used for additional performance.

Ford has done a lot of work making sure their engines can run 87 as a minimum as a premium fuel requirement might deter people from getting an Ecoboost in their next Ford.