GEN 1 Premature spark plug failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bryanb

bryanb

Reaction score
This is an old thread but thought I'd check to see if this fixed your problem for good.

I've put about 6-7K more miles on since the new set of plugs and the new ignition coil and I've had no repeat of the problems. It's probably too soon to conclude much since it took 20K miles to run in to the problem the first time.

As I thought about this situation long after the original post, I recalled an aggressive drive on a south Texas beach where I was tearing up the sand pretty good. I was monitoring the engine and transmission temps and thought things were staying reasonably cool, but at one point I got out of the truck, turned the engine off and smelled something that wasn't quite a burning smell but rather what I took at the time to be a really hot engine compartment (resulting from low speeds and low air flow with very high engine power output). I didn't worry much at the time because both the engine and tranny were staying within operational limits, but in retrospect I wonder if the engine compartment itself got way too hot and melted the ignition coil and made the plugs "fragile." Any similar experiences? Maybe our Raptors do have limits after all. :)

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did an ignition revamp on my 2010 at 85000 miles. Original plugs were swapped at 35,000 miles when the whipple was installed. No issues seen . NGKs were installed with whipple for last 50,000 miles no issues other than gaps had opened up . I had heard there were issues with passenger side coils, jumping to ground. I did'nt have any issues other than age and mileage. I installed denso ITV22 plugs set at 28 thousand gap , new Taylor spark plug wires and new Denso coils all 8 of them. Also new Mass Air meter as well as 2 new oxygen sensors . Truck responded very well , driveability was much better than previous to revamp . Mileage a tad better. Truck ran so much better i increased boost to 12 psi. No issues and pulls very strong.

saratoga2011

Reaction score
Thanks for the update! It seems like I had the same issue as the OP - the (brand new) SP526 plug was bad. The center electrode came out of it and it was arcing to the head. That apparently caused the COP to fail as mine was also starting to melt.

Two new plugs and a new COP and I'm back in business.

Here's a quick video of what was happening.
https://youtu.be/S1NZDe_Mr9Y

Last edited:

Jason George

Reaction score
I know this is an older post but I just realized the exact same thing happened to my stock plugs. I have 13 screw with 65k on the clock. I am replacing them with NGK Iridiums.