Preliminary Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
So it happened again. The truck sits outside my office 10 or 12 hours a day, I start it up and take off and at the end of the street, about a quarter mile or so, I'm cruising along at about 25 mph and about 2200RPM, in T/H mode. I take my foot off the gas and it just keeps going, no decelereration, nothing, as if the cruise control has been set. Weird. It seems to be related to a cold start more than hot/warm, but at idle on a cold start it runs about 1200-1400 RPM briefly, never 2200.

I'm wondering if your taking your foot off as it just switched or shifted into the next gear
so the trans is in that high rev mode at the time. I've kinda had something like this happen a couple of times
but noticed it's only when it has just shifted.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
So it happened again. The truck sits outside my office 10 or 12 hours a day, I start it up and take off and at the end of the street, about a quarter mile or so, I'm cruising along at about 25 mph and about 2200RPM, in T/H mode. I take my foot off the gas and it just keeps going, no decelereration, nothing, as if the cruise control has been set. Weird. It seems to be related to a cold start more than hot/warm, but at idle on a cold start it runs about 1200-1400 RPM briefly, never 2200.

why do you suspect it's a problem? mine does the same thing except when i coax it while coasting down a hill i will tap the brakes and it will growl and downshift. without a trailer it takes a lot to force the downshift. mine will also hang in a gear like you're describing.

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
that's got to be one hell of a hard deceleration downshift to skid the rear tires to the point of kicking it sideways. you know what's great for snow/ice is Off Road Mode. It's not looking to harshly downshift like T/H mode but rather it will downshift at relatively low RPMs when you coast down a slight grade. it also keeps you in gear at the power band so you can avoid hard accelerating downshifts which may also break the tires loose.

it's a huge part of why I feel so awesome behind the wheel during a snow/ice event. if you use the brakes too much on ice something is bound to go wrong. slow and steady finishes the race.

Yeah - the conditions weren't prime - ice base on the asphalt, blowing snow covering the road, and the ruts and road surface going down hill weren't exactly level.
I just touched the gas and she straightened right out like a good girl.

Anyone else notice how Raptors don't exactly fit in all the road ruts out there?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Yeah - the conditions weren't prime - ice base on the asphalt, blowing snow covering the road, and the ruts and road surface going down hill weren't exactly level.
I just touched the gas and she straightened right out like a good girl.

Anyone else notice how Raptors don't exactly fit in all the road ruts out there?

oh i know exactly what you mean, i just drove home on wet sheer ice. the only time i pulled that off was in a 2wd standard shift jeep. stuffed it in 2nd, let off the clutch and wooooooooooooo sideways. i just never felt a hard enough downshift in T/H mode to do it in the Rap.

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
I'm wondering if your taking your foot off as it just switched or shifted into the next gear
so the trans is in that high rev mode at the time. I've kinda had something like this happen a couple of times
but noticed it's only when it has just shifted.

Also, with low miles on the truck, could it be the tranny trying to learn the drivers driving habits? I had a mechanic explain that one to me on my 2003 F150 as it was shifting at too low an RPM for my liking. I pulled the battery cable off for 10 min, reinstated - then drove it in the country a bit so I could get the revs up between shifts. After an hour, it seemed to have "memorized my shift pattern" and there was a noticeable difference in city driving too keeping the RPMs up.
Just a thought - but I would still want a pro to look at it.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
This is my first 'electronic' truck too - and I prefer manual hubs as well. Although things are still new, I wonder about a few years from now about getting stuck or worse by the 4wheel mode not engaging due to 'sensor failure' or some crap. Worse, troubleshooting the problem may be a bitch...

The front axle is always engaged on this truck (CV shaft splined to the hub), nothing to engage / disengage there. Ford has been doing electronic shift since the mid 80's, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, either. That being said, I would prefer a manual shift t-case myself as well.

Black Lab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try letting the engine warm & transmission warm up to operational ranges before you take off. I've had similar issues w/ my F250. I'll bet this will help. Costs nothing but a few minutes @ start up.