GEN 2 Pre-Purchase Inspection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK92

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a Gen 2. I'm interested to see if anyone has a pre-purchase inspection list for things that I should check out before buying.

FYI I bought a Gen 1 from a private seller in the past. I got a full PPI from a local Ford dealer, who gave me the green light. Turns out that the truck required some work, so I'm trying to avoid that this time around.

Also, should I get the inspection done at a Ford dealer or by an independent mechanic?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, what did you miss last time?

Are you mechanically inclined at all, moderately inclined, professional race car builder or something in between?

The pre-’19 trucks have the less sophisticated Fox shocks, a little less to worry about there. on those trucks, depending on mileage, get a good, bumpy ride to see if the suspension is compliant and the shocks are still good. It’s a little more complicated than just a bounce test, but not that intricate.

’17 through early ’18 trucks have a plastic oil pan that ... seemed like a good idea at the time... to someone, but a few of them leaked from the factory and the replacement procedure is tedious and intricate. if done incorrectly, it leaks again. The overwhelming majority of trucks don’t have the issue, but you should look.

obvious stuff: bent hard parts BESIDES THE SKID PLATES. Unless the latter are completely caved in, that’s what they’re for. Leaks from transfer case, cv, transmission, diffs, etc.

service history, look for a cam phaser repair or the extended service notification. Not everyone had the issue, in fact, most did not. That said, it’s a costly fix if not covered so get a cold soak start up - bring a laser thermometer to ensure the truck hasn’t been started.

An honest evaluation is always a good idea on a used vehicle that is significantly expensive, as a Raptor is. Whether it’s a stealership or private mechanic is really up to you.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a Gen 2. I'm interested to see if anyone has a pre-purchase inspection list for things that I should check out before buying.

FYI I bought a Gen 1 from a private seller in the past. I got a full PPI from a local Ford dealer, who gave me the green light. Turns out that the truck required some work, so I'm trying to avoid that this time around.

Also, should I get the inspection done at a Ford dealer or by an independent mechanic?
In addition to Smurf, I like to look at the engine hours. Some low OD readings could have a ton of engine hours, especially in the south as people running their office in the AC of their truck. I crawl underneath mine and checked for leaks/seepage, repairs, off-road evidence( I preferred to pop the cherry on scratching up the skid plates and off roading). the carfax was important to me(even though I do my own maintenance) it usually shows a trend. A carfax will also show if the recalls and TSP have been taken care of. Those are a hassle and always seems to need a part that is not in stock.