Pre Lube pump to prevent Cam Phasor Failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jskrebs

Reaction score
After just having the 2nd set of Cam Phasor replacements at 118K I am considering a pre-lube pump to ensure the phasors always have sufficient oil pressure.

I can find pre-engineered kits for industrial engines and I was hoping someone else had built up the proper BOM for the Raptor.

Curious to see if anyone is ahead of me on this.

Jeff Krebs
2018 Ruby Red SCAB w118K

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Priming the oil system before starting will not prevent or resolve the issue. As long as you have the new software (recall 21B10) the premature wear of the phasers is prevented.

OP
OP
J

jskrebs

Reaction score
I think they did the firmware update with the 2nd set of Phasors.
I do notice the truck cranks for a second or so before firing the motor where it fired instantly before. Assuming this allows oil pressure to build.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surprised nobody has made a cam phaser delete kit for the 3.5 like there is for the 4.6 and 5.4 engines.
After just having the 2nd set of Cam Phasor replacements at 118K I am considering a pre-lube pump to ensure the phasors always have sufficient oil pressure.

I can find pre-engineered kits for industrial engines and I was hoping someone else had built up the proper BOM for the Raptor.

Curious to see if anyone is ahead of me on this.

Jeff Krebs
2018 Ruby Red SCAB w118K

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just prime it yourself. If you hold down the gas pedal, then hit the start button the truck wont start but will kick over. Once the motor has turned over for about 5 seconds, let off the gas pedal and it will start. It will be fine, no rattle. This is how Ford primes your cam phasers the first time they start it after install. Only need to do this on cold start usually.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am surprised nobody has made a cam phaser delete kit for the 3.5 like there is for the 4.6 and 5.4 engines.
You just can’t stay out of the Gen 2 threads can you Sasquatch.

The main purpose of VCT on 4.6/5.4 3V and 6.2 was to provide EGR function. That’s why they can be “deleted” with little to no loss in power or drive ability.

You can’t run a delete kit on an otherwise stock engine when the VCT system is integral to engine performance like it is on EcoBoost and Coyote applications.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think they did the firmware update with the 2nd set of Phasors.
I do notice the truck cranks for a second or so before firing the motor where it fired instantly before. Assuming this allows oil pressure to build.
That’s most likely related to learned parameters being reset. A properly functioning VCT system does not need oil pressure on a cold start.

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just can’t stay out of the Gen 2 threads can you Sasquatch.

The main purpose of VCT on 4.6/5.4 3V and 6.2 was to provide EGR function. That’s why they can be “deleted” with little to no loss in power or drive ability.

You can’t run a delete kit on an otherwise stock engine when the VCT system is integral to engine performance like it is on EcoBoost and Coyote applications.
I was going to say is this guy bat **** crazy or what. Glad you beat me to it