PPG water based clear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rabidranger

Reaction score
This isn’t for my raptor, it’s about my wife’s 2020 Exploder. Just had a collision shop replace and repaint the hood, front fenders and front fascia due to an accident. The shop mentioned it would take up to 30 days for the clear coat to fully harden/cure. Wtf? Am I not supposed to drive it on the soon to be salt covered Michigan roads so it doesn’t get scratches? I know they say not to go through car washes for 30 days. Just trying to figure out how sensitive the paint really is at this point. Should I put a heater in the garage for 30 days to help?

RustyNutz

Reaction score
We use chromax and matrix, and say the same thing. It stinks, but don't want to trap any solvents that still might need to escape

Brett Rahn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ppg doesn’t have a water clear to the public yet. Shop used PPG water base and a solvent clear. 30 days is recommended to let clear vapor of. But after 10-15 days it’s done. Go ahead and wash it anytime and after 15 or so days wax or whatever.

Tony Church

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a waterborne clear coat , they just use water base and solvent based clear . That being said , 30 days is fine if it is hot out , but given the time of year and your location , I'd wait 45 before you put any type of wax or sealant on it . At least that was what they told us in certification school for PPG . As mentioned before , keep an eye out for bird shit or bugs that splatter on it for the next month . The acid in it will eat into the paint easier when it is fresh , it does it on all paints , but until yours get to full hardness it does more damage .

OP
OP
rabidranger

rabidranger

Reaction score
Thanks all, what about getting road salt off the paint in the next 30 days? Leave it, or just try and rinse it off, no power washer?

venomblue22

Reaction score
Rinse it off, always be careful with pressure washer especially around the edges but more so just don't get right up on it. Stay 24" plus away

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shop should have explained it more clearer. I always try to for my customers.