GEN 2 PPF: Is it necessary?

Worth getting PPF on a Raptor?

• Worth it!

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Skip it.

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MtnPat

Reaction score
Just got my new '18 Raptor and I know there's a lot of threads on here with people saying how great paint protection film is and XPEL is the best, yadda yadda. I have it on my other cars. HOWEVER: is it really necessary on the Raptor?

Has anyone who hasn't gotten PPF installed regretted not doing it?

I figure the truck is so high up and there's relatively little paint on the front that it might not be that necessary...

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For one, I hate how pricey it is. I did not get it done.

Regardless of the height of the truck you will get scratches from brush, branches etc. They come up quick when your playing out there. Ive gotten them all down the sides as high as half way up the black B pillars. Most will buff out. Few lil chips on the front edge of the hood too. The bumper (except for the lower part of the skid plate) and grille are flawless.

In hindsight, would I get it? No. Eh, I just dont care about the little marks that much. IMO Raptors look better with character and a few battle scars.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use a temporary PPF in the meantime, but eventually I'll get my truck Autoflexed. Same protective qualities, but easier to remove and half the price.

Umlify

Reaction score
I’m 50/50. I do not have it: however, I just took my first road trip and there was a pretty good size rock chip on my front fender. Didn’t realize it, but these trucks are so wide that some of the fender actually does face front, which will take some blows.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
For one, I hate how pricey it is. I did not get it done.

Regardless of the height of the truck you will get scratches from brush, branches etc. They come up quick when your playing out there. Ive gotten them all down the sides as high as half way up the black B pillars. Most will buff out. Few lil chips on the front edge of the hood too. The bumper (except for the lower part of the skid plate) and grille are flawless.

In hindsight, would I get it? No. Eh, I just dont care about the little marks that much. IMO Raptors look better with character and a few battle scars.

I agree, I can repaint the truck for less than PPF and it is supposed to be removed every years from what I u deer stand.

chefsam

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a clear bra and Ceramic Pro inside and out and I would get it done again in a heartbeat.
Expensive but worth every penny IMO.

7 year guarantee. no waxing detailing etc. It rains and the water beads off my black Raptor like it was just washed.

A downside is you cannot take it through a car wash but I enjoy washing my truck once or twice a week and have some foam cannon fun.
To me its theraputic. I take my time and I enjoy it.

I have the Full Front Package
Front Bumper
Full Hood
Full Fenders
Mirror Caps Ceramic Pro

and interior

Ceramic Platinum
Full Vehicle Detail
2 Layers of Ceramic Pro on paint, headlights, plastic details
1 Layer of Ceramic Pro Light on paint, headlights, plastic details
1 Layer of Ceramic Pro Rain on windshield
1 Layer of Ceramic Pro Leather/Textile on all interior
1 Layer of Ceramic Pro 9H on wheel fascia

* I also don't panic as much when I'm on the highway trying to change lanes to get out of the way of a dump truck spewing debris all over the road.

ChrisJTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imo, not worth it. Had it on my last vehicle and spent about 5k, full coverage. Even the basic kit, part of hood, front fenders, bumper, side mirrors run about 1.5k+. This time around I spent the funds on wheels, bumpers, etc. If your **** about small chips and such, then probably worth it. You also need to make sure you get a quality installer as well. Crap jobs can ruin paint and even worse.... shit installers can potentially put deep cuts into your paint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

chefsam

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imo, not worth it. Had it on my last vehicle and spent about 5k, full coverage. Even the basic kit, part of hood, front fenders, bumper, side mirrors run about 1.5k+. This time around I spent the funds on wheels, bumpers, etc. If your **** about small chips and such, then probably worth it. You also need to make sure you get a quality installer as well. Crap jobs can ruin paint and even worse.... shit installers can potentially put deep cuts into your paint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I had and excellent installer and a great experience. They own Porsche Of the Main Line Newtown Square, PA and use the products on their cars. Highly recommend.

Porsche of The Main Line | RDS Automotive GroupRDS Automotive Group

https://www.rdspaintprotection.com/

* I do not work for nor am I affiliated with RDS

Last edited:

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had it applied to the front of my truck. I would do it again. I'll eventually have the whole truck wrapped.